QT observation and treatment

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT setup (airstone, power filter, pvc pipe, heater, thermometer, seeding sponge from display) as i plan on adding at least 2 more small fish.

Currently in my arsenal i have cupramine, metroplex, kanaplex, safety stop and General Cure at my disposal.

I also plan on getting fish at LFS, dropping in safety stop, and then into QT.

I've seen some treat straight with copper and then something else (GC or metro or other)

I've also just watched Tidal Gardens video and they treat with prazi and then formalin. No copper.

Just looking to do this right to avoid any issues or fish death while in QT.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Seashelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could help... following to see other responses. I'm a newbie who is currently failing at QT myself. o_O I had planned to do the tank transfer method followed by a course of prazi to cover most of the bases... however, due to symptoms showing up a few days in, I had to change course. For what it's worth, I did the TTM because I didn't want to do a prophylactic copper treatment, as it's really hard on the fish.

Sandersonville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT setup (airstone, power filter, pvc pipe, heater, thermometer, seeding sponge from display) as i plan on adding at least 2 more small fish.

Currently in my arsenal i have cupramine, metroplex, kanaplex, safety stop and General Cure at my disposal.

I also plan on getting fish at LFS, dropping in safety stop, and then into QT.

I've seen some treat straight with copper and then something else (GC or metro or other)

I've also just watched Tidal Gardens video and they treat with prazi and then formalin. No copper.

Just looking to do this right to avoid any issues or fish death while in QT.

Any suggestions?
Just finished the Tidal Gardens video myself... Great video!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many threads on qt. If you are doing a qt and treating prophylactically you will need meds. I personally have never used copper. I have used formalin to very good success and recently have used chloroquine phosphate with good results. It really depends on what is available in your area.

Good air circulation or stones is I think huge success or not in qt. You need good o2 levels. The meds deplete these. Also, I always keep Prime on hand. Helps to reduce any ammonia issue immediately.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on use of formalin or my prefernce being formalin baths or ruby rally reef which covers a wide variety of symptoms.
Copper is ok when you are qt due to known /visual parasites.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on use of formalin or my prefernce being formalin baths or ruby rally reef which covers a wide variety of symptoms.
Yeah with new fish and no visual parasites observation and general cure?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read the QT sticky threads, particularly those by Humblefish. I would not listen to whoever happens to see this thread and weighs in (unless that someone, like me, directs you to the QT stickies!).

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that's what i'm having a hard time getting over. No visual issues with this fish yet. I have meds to treat unseen issues but putting through copper just to put through seems like a risk...I don't know, i'm a noob.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read the QT sticky threads, particularly those by Humblefish. I would not listen to whoever happens to see this thread and weighs in (unless that someone, like me, directs you to the QT stickies!).
have done. so may contrasting opinions and research.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to use copper power as it claims to be safer than cupramine.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally done with 30 days copper. Clownfish has done well with no signs of any issues. If salinity and temp are the same can I just plop in a bucket of tank water then transfer into DT in the peacemaker for a few days?
This was a new fish from LFS and not an infected fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back