QT of mature fish for large tank

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI guys,
Setting up a QT for 5 larger tangs from a mature system (500 display) - tank has ICH and, when the tank is moved, I will do a full QT for the system - fishless for 45 days, and then a full QT, both for ICH and internal, just to be clear. I am planning on using a 90 gallon as a QT, so the fish have space.
My plan is 14 days at 2.0 ppm copper using copper power; plus focus and general cure (though I am pretty sure they are free of these parasites, I'd rather be certain).
Transfer at 14 days to another 90 g and running General cure externally (or prazi pro). I'm having trouble finiding all medications - A m a zon seems to have, but I'd rather use a focused business, if anyone has a recommendation...note, a package for QT would be a nice bundle at a store :).

1. My plan is to make the two 90g tanks identical for purposes of hiding spots. At 14 days, I will catch fish in a specimen tank and transfer to the new tank - what is the best way to minimize transfer of copper water/ICH water?
2. I'm having a hard time seeing how much medication I need for this setup. Assume that the existing fish will go through this 90 gallon QT, simply because of size. I plan to otherwise use a 20 or 40 breeder for future quarantine of new fish. The tank needs a lot of fish, it's pretty empty right now. so, simple question - how much copper power, focus, general cure do I need?
3. once I use the one 90 with copper - should I assume that the tank will always have copper? Or can I re-use it as a frag tank in the future, after some cleaning process (bleach/ammonia?) or do I need to run carbon in this?
4. Should I use dividers in the 90g to separate the 5 mature tangs? Obviously, this will be a lot smaller than their usual 10 ft display tank?
5. Ammonia badge - I have 2 older ones, one used, one still in package...do they still work (like 5 years old), or just buy new?

Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New post in this forum about 45 days being safe, as compared to the old 76 day requirement.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmm, there's a lot there in your post.

you'll want the display to be fallow for 76+ days

1) the best way to transfer fish from one tank to another is to catch them safely then use a plastic colander, it's way better than a net.
2) Read the labels, do the math. One large bottle of copper power should be enough. General Cure, 1 box, treats 100g at a time. It takes 4 doses. So, you'll need 4 boxes.
3) No, you can remove the copper. You'll need to clean it super thoroughly. A search on r2r will detail how to remove it all. It's important to not keep anything like rock that will absorb the copper.
4) I did, just smaller scale. Egg crate worked great.
5) They work ok-ish. Your best bet is to use a salifert kit and test daily.

OP
OP
K

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the QT tanks on Friday. They need a little cleaning, but will be ready to go soon - working on organizing the basement now to get all tanks organized for the QT process, and to get the main display ready too! So much going on to get a huge tank moved and installed...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back