QT Plan - Help or Suggestions

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just trying to make sure I understand what the best approach is. In my case once I treat even for 30 days I’ll still have 46 days of observation left. If I put a freshwater fish in and it lives a long time that may be a good canary in the mine, so to speak. My curiosity after that is if I leave the freshwater fish in qt can I purchase a new saltwater fish and if nothing happens to the mollie I don’t need to treat the new fish?
I've read that mollies have no defense against ich so they show symptoms quickly. & once back in freshwater they get rid of ich soon as well. haven't had 1st hand experience myself though. My coral beauty showed symptoms of ich on the 13th day. It was in the LFS for 2 weeks before that. so, basically showed symptoms after almost 4 weeks.
now i think that i should have started copper treatment from day 1. I was afraid as i had read angels don't survive copper treatment. but i was amazed at my coral beauty. took it like a pro.

I think the best QT process will be TTM with tanks with copper in them. that way tomonts will be left in the last tank and free floating ich on the fish will get killed in the tank No.2 . I would still do transfer to tank 3 and observe for 2 weeks before tapering down Copper from the tank.
once bitten twice shy lol

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I strongly urge folks to quarantine with copper for 30 days. The copper does not kill the tomonts, and moving the fish out isn’t always 100% effective. You’ll still want to treat for flukes as well.
Jay
@Jay Hemdal
If copper does not kill tomonts, won't tomonts hatch after copper is removed after 30 days? Or are you moving fish after 30 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
If copper does not kill tomonts, won't tomonts hatch after copper is removed after 30 days? Or are you moving fish after 30 days?
The maximum tomonts can routinely remain viable is around 30 days, most release their theronts within 14 days. I always conclude a 30 day copper Rx with 14 days of observation.
Jay

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maximum tomonts can routinely remain viable is around 30 days, most release their theronts within 14 days. I always conclude a 30 day copper Rx with 14 days of observation.
Jay
Are you moving them to a separate observation tank or are you observing in the same tank and removing the copper after 30 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you moving them to a separate observation tank or are you observing in the same tank and removing the copper after 30 days?
Same tank, just remove copper with water changes. I often use the time to run a course of praziquantel.
Jay

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank, just remove copper with water changes. I often use the time to run a course of praziquantel.
Jay
Thanks, but if this is ok, why 45 days of fallow and not 30 days due to tomonts? Is it just because of the observation period in case something slips through?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but if this is ok, why 45 days of fallow and not 30 days due to tomonts? Is it just because of the observation period in case something slips through?
Yes...the added time is the safety margin. Chueng’s original study was like 32 days, at least that was what I was taught.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back