? QT/Prevent Brook/velvet in (baby) clowns

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General ?/Help...
Got burned and lost all but 3 fish, in the past. I’m trying to be super careful this time. I (definitely) learned (a lot) the hard way. Brook or velvet wiped out my tank. I’m restocking/ but, super slow...extremely cautious/paranoid. I only buy ORA/tank raised from Coral Reef (now.) I got a harem (10) of baby clowns (still small, not fry.) I’ve tried to read and follow directions for QT for clowns. However, there is so many opinions/directions and conflicting info. It’s really confusing. The prevention method I have went with was Formalin (real formalin) bath for 45 minutes followed by metro/focus every other day for 3 weeks. So, my ?... I’ve observed and they have appeared healthy/eating everyday. They did fine with the formalin bath. I’m back to no meds and fish all appear fine. I’m 5-6 weeks from the startup... What am I waiting on? Is it safe yet? Should I keep observing? It’s not real clear on how long to do this...It just tells you how to proceed if you have a problem. Glad to report no problems, but I want to be sure. The treatment route I went with was recommended (specifically) for clownfish. I do copper & Prazipro, for the others. Also, I was a little scared of the copper, due to them being pretty young/nano/small. Anyway, I want to do this right... Any advice is appreciated. How long should I wait? Are they safe to go in DT? Anymore meds? Watch and see? Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SInce book / velvet was in your tank how long has it been fallow?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with tank raised fish is that while they are pretty much disease free from the hatchery, if they go through a store that holds wild clowns in the same system, they end up no cleaner really, than the wild clowns. I get my TR fish direct from the hatchery, and will often just do observational quarantine on them.
As you alluded to, chemical baths on small fish is a bit more risky due to their increased surface to volume ratio - the drugs end up being stronger-acting in smaller fish. Same thing applies to metro/focus. In addition, metro is really bitter. I bet they take one taste of that and refuse it. Unless the clowns are <1" long, you could consider running coppersafe at the bottle dosage, that is pretty mild.

Oh, and my experience has been that clown harems tend to break down as the fish mature....

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SInce book / velvet was in your tank how long has it been fallow?
3 months. My 3 survivors went back in DT Christmas Day. 1 yellow tang, 1 green chromis and 1 clown. I did copper and 2 rounds of prazipro/metro... my yellow tang got popeye midway through, I did Maracyn 1 and prazipro... then, waited an extra month to make sure they were all healthy. I know it seems strange but, I have multiple QT’s now. I only plan to do this through the treatment/quarantine/restocking process. I have one little 1 for dips/baths/formalin. I have 1 up and running for emergency use... (use it for water replacement/correct salinity, temp.) when the QT’s water parameters go crazy. And, the QT the new fish are in.
For DT : 3 months fallow
Did the raise temp, too. Tried the hyposalinity but, I almost killed my coral/softies... so, that didn’t last long (a day or two)... it took 2-3 weeks to get my corals back healthy/happy. I feel pretty good about my DT... and, my 3 are doing great, so far.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got them from a hatchery... it’s owned/operated by Sustainable Aquatics/ORA fishthey have 1 location in Tennessee and 1 in the Marshall Islands. If I understand correctly. I called and spoke to someone, to confirm that they were a hatchery and that their tank raised and wild caught fish are kept separately. They have quarantine treatments that they do for all their fish. (What I was told) But, they teach you to quarantine all new fish and not to trust anyone/store, etc. And, they sent me tons of information to read. They are very helpful, and I was extremely impressed. My only complaint... (is on me)... it’s information overload and I’ve read so much, so fast.... I’m confused. I think I will do a round of copper, to be sure. They did fine with the formalin. Basically, I went with formalin because it was recommended for clowns and Brook. I know it was Brook or velvet that wiped out my DT. I’m not sure which one. Ughh... I’ll do the copper ... I’ve heard the same thing about harems, but I thought I’d give it a shot! I figured I’m starting over/with a clean slate. They are (definitely) all juveniles, but I know a Female will emerge! Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got them from a hatchery... it’s owned/operated by Sustainable Aquatics/ORA fishthey have 1 location in Tennessee and 1 in the Marshall Islands. If I understand correctly. I called and spoke to someone, to confirm that they were a hatchery and that their tank raised and wild caught fish are kept separately. They have quarantine treatments that they do for all their fish. (What I was told) But, they teach you to quarantine all new fish and not to trust anyone/store, etc. And, they sent me tons of information to read. They are very helpful, and I was extremely impressed. My only complaint... (is on me)... it’s information overload and I’ve read so much, so fast.... I’m confused. I think I will do a round of copper, to be sure. They did fine with the formalin. Basically, I went with formalin because it was recommended for clowns and Brook. I know it was Brook or velvet that wiped out my DT. I’m not sure which one. Ughh... I’ll do the copper ... I’ve heard the same thing about harems, but I thought I’d give it a shot! I figured I’m starting over/with a clean slate. They are (definitely) all juveniles, but I know a Female will emerge! Thank you!
Oh, 1 more thing... You are right about the food/metro/focus ... I soak it/make into a paste (garlicky/selcon stuff) and pinch little bits off. They eat a little, then it’s over. I’m not sure how much they are actually getting... it can’t be much. They don’t like it.

Upvote 0

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months. My 3 survivors went back in DT Christmas Day. 1 yellow tang, 1 green chromis and 1 clown. I did copper and 2 rounds of prazipro/metro... my yellow tang got popeye midway through, I did Maracyn 1 and prazipro... then, waited an extra month to make sure they were all healthy. I know it seems strange but, I have multiple QT’s now. I only plan to do this through the treatment/quarantine/restocking process. I have one little 1 for dips/baths/formalin. I have 1 up and running for emergency use... (use it for water replacement/correct salinity, temp.) when the QT’s water parameters go crazy. And, the QT the new fish are in.
For DT : 3 months fallow
Did the raise temp, too. Tried the hyposalinity but, I almost killed my coral/softies... so, that didn’t last long (a day or two)... it took 2-3 weeks to get my corals back healthy/happy. I feel pretty good about my DT... and, my 3 are doing great, so far.
Nice success story... can share tank pic

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, been workin’! Here is some pictures/2 video. I don’t think I’ve ever posted a pic on here before. I’ve sent a pic to Jay Hemdal when my yellow tang was sick, but that’s about it. I’m not a photographer. I’ve got a new blue/green Recordea (in the Tupperware container) and little Xenia frag. I need to glue everything down. I haven’t had the time. Maybe, this weekend....Anyway...Here goes... 75g (still young, tank)
Clownfish harem
1 chromis
1 yellow tank
1 cleaner shrimp
And, whole bunch of snails
7 soft corals/still small .. (Acan has grown a little- it looked like 1 open flower, now it has 7-8 little open flowers) it’s probably called something else, but I don’t know all that ... yet ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 63591209904__25478F85-F8BB-4635-85E1-F2AB94AD0112.MOV
    6.1 MB
Upvote 0

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, been workin’! Here is some pictures/2 video. I don’t think I’ve ever posted a pic on here before. I’ve sent a pic to Jay Hemdal when my yellow tang was sick, but that’s about it. I’m not a photographer. I’ve got a new blue/green Recordea (in the Tupperware container) and little Xenia frag. I need to glue everything down. I haven’t had the time. Maybe, this weekend....Anyway...Here goes... 75g (still young, tank)
Clownfish harem
1 chromis
1 yellow tank
1 cleaner shrimp
And, whole bunch of snails
7 soft corals/still small .. (Acan has grown a little- it looked like 1 open flower, now it has 7-8 little open flowers) it’s probably called something else, but I don’t know all that ... yet ;)
Wow very nice...

Upvote 0

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is the devil... I would usually qt.. I got velvet and it took down 40ish fish in 2 weeks.. about 18 full grown tangs w streamers, wrasses you i name it.. That stress def took years off my life.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is the devil... I would usually qt.. I got velvet and it took down 40ish fish in 2 weeks.. about 18 full grown tangs w streamers, wrasses you i name it.. That stress def took years off my life.
Wow, that’s awful ... I thought my 20 or so was awful. I know it’s nuts ... but, I was going for the “Nemo” fish. I had all of them, except for the Moorish Idol and the puffer (which, I was advised; not to get.) I was 1 away from having my dream tank. It was the Dory/Blue hippo tang that got me/caused the tank crash. I got it from LFS/Petco. Not to mention... they could have told me... that my tank wasn’t large enough, for a blue hippo tang! I was scrambling trying to save my fish, and it seemed like nothing was working (and, fast enough.) I would go get treatments/meds but, they were too far gone to save them. They were dying within 30 minutes of showing symptoms. The slime coating was so thick, it was a mix of ... weighting them down and suffocating them, at the same time. I tried fresh water dips, formalin dips... but, nothing worked. I had 3 that seemed completely unaffected. But, I knew if they stayed in the DT, it would be a matter of time. That’s when I did my 1st QT and (really) started reading & researching. Found Reef2Reef, and asked lots of questions. (Thankful for the help.) So backwards, I know. I regret it. I had no idea there was so much to learn .. how much I didn’t know. It really upset me. And, I felt so embarrassed and stupid when I found out ... It could have been PREVENTED?!! Lesson learned. I won’t make that mistake twice! Sorry, about your fish. Hopefully, we will have better luck this time!

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back