QT process for emporer angel

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife is stuck on this fish. I'm checking out qt processes and just wondering if anyone can help.

I know they can be touchy. So do I let it acclimate then treat? Do I do a fw dip? I've read they're sensitive to copper so how should I go about treatment?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There! I have 3 angelfish that have all done well with medications through QT.

Here is my 4 step process that conduct for every fish that enters my tank. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There! I have 3 angelfish that have all done well with medications through QT.

Here is my 4 step process that conduct for every fish that enters my tank. Hope this helps.

That makes me feel better. Do you do a fw dip then get them eating before treatments after that?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always good to make sure they are consuming food prior to adding medications. Keep us posted. Just make sure you follow the steps properly for FWD.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always good to make sure they are consuming food prior to adding medications. Keep us posted. Just make sure you follow the steps properly for FWD.

Ok thanks. I have just the general api high ph right now. Im assuming that will work. This will be my first fw dip.

I'll play around with raising ph this week then hopefully order for next week and go from there.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry can you clarify what do you mean by play around with raising PH?

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry can you clarify what do you mean by play around with raising PH?

Bad choice of words. Making the ph match my tank so I'll be confident I can match the bag. That way I won't be trying to do that rushing with a fish in transit. My water is around 7 so i will need to raise it.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not purchased the emp. yet I like the Africa collected ones from LA Divers Den. As juveniles they are not that expensive.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your QT tank cycled and well established? PH of 7 is low and I advise against chasing your PH with buffers if possible. I have PH buffer and only use it when trying to increase my RODI water for FWD or for top off replacement of evaporated water.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your QT tank cycled and well established? PH of 7 is low and I advise against chasing your PH with buffers if possible. I have PH buffer and only use it when trying to increase my RODI water for FWD or for top off replacement of evaporated water.

That's for the fw dip. My quarantines match my display parameters at the moment. Which that opens another can of worms how do you acclimate after a fw dip?

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not purchased the emp. yet I like the Africa collected ones from LA Divers Den. As juveniles they are not that expensive.

I was thinking about that but the Africa thing scared me with collection practices. They're sold out right now in dd though. Im looking for a 3-4" one if I can find one. 100-140 is about the going rate. I've been looking for months locally with no luck.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to get the PH to at-least 7.8 at the minimum and it needs to keep consistent most importantly. In regards to acclimation, you can float or drip acclimate with the QT water so the fish is accustomed to the water chemistry. You just want to make sure PH, salinity and temp are close to what the shippers or LFS was after the FWD.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to get the PH to at-least 7.8 at the minimum and it needs to keep consistent most importantly. In regards to acclimation, you can float or drip acclimate with the QT water so the fish is accustomed to the water chemistry. You just want to make sure PH, salinity and temp are close to what the shippers or LFS was after the FWD.

Ah ok. Thanks for the help.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your adventure. Here are some pictures when I had my 300 gallon.

imp 11-29 reduced.jpg Imp 2-4-16 reduced.jpg

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything went well. No flukes and looks to be in great shape. I'm just doing observation for 2 months unless treatment is needed. 3-4" juvie

20190915_153120.jpg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything went well. No flukes and looks to be in great shape. I'm just doing observation for 2 months unless treatment is needed. 3-4" juvie

20190915_153120.jpg

It is a beauty! I agree on your course of action; no need to treat if nothing shows up on him; the last one I had went through a few weeks of QT with no signs of disease, went into DT and did very well for me, until he developed a taste for my maxima clam about six months later. Good luck!

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beauty! I agree on your course of action; no need to treat if nothing shows up on him; the last one I had went through a few weeks of QT with no signs of disease, went into DT and did very well for me, until he developed a taste for my maxima clam about six months later. Good luck!

There lies the problem. Between the eel and the angel I think I need another tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.3%
Back