QT Question - completing 30 day Copper Treatment and Prazipro next. Proper Steps.

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am nearing the completion of a 30 day copper QT for a couple new fish. All looks good so far. Next I would like to dose PraziPro before moving the 2 fish (Blue Hippo Tang and Dottyback) in the DT. I understand I can use the same tank and water with established BIO. My thought is to use Carbon to remove the copper and once that is done, then start the PraziPro Treatment. I would then dose Prazi, two times total, 7 days apart.

My question is if this is a good plan. How long will take take to remove the copper using the carbon?

Do I have to bring copper down to absolute zero before starting PraziPro or just near Zero? I am trying to avoid a water change to avoid any extra stress. My salinity is also very low at 1.018.

Also, is PraziPro treatment, 2x- 7 days apart correct?

Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first QT experience. Fish look great after 30 days, but want to keep it that way and make a mistake..

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon won’t work very well at removing copper, water changes are much better. You don’t need to get the copper to zero, just down to less than 25% or so.
Aerate well when using prazipro. I dose 3x seven days apart, this helps eliminate egg laying flukes as prazipro doesn’t kill the eggs, you need to let them hatch out and then kill them.
Jay

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon won’t work very well at removing copper, water changes are much better. You don’t need to get the copper to zero, just down to less than 25% or so.
Aerate well when using prazipro. I dose 3x seven days apart, this helps eliminate egg laying flukes as prazipro doesn’t kill the eggs, you need to let them hatch out and then kill them.
Jay
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the update. I will go ahead and start the water changes. I am using a 20gl QT. Should I do 25% water changes every couple days or what is your methodology?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the update. I will go ahead and start the water changes. I am using a 20gl QT. Should I do 25% water changes every couple days or what is your methodology?

Thanks!
25% a day for 3 days should get you where you need to be. For extra safety, I usually do a 25% water change prior to each prazi treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% a day for 3 days should get you where you need to be. For extra safety, I usually do a 25% water change prior to each prazi treatment.

Jay
Thanks Jay. So one other question. I have been running hyposalinity also. Should I start to increase it each day as I do the 25% water changes or stay at present value ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - you ran copper and hypo at the same time? I’ve never tried that, but have heard it didn’t work well for some folks...
If you are at true hypo, which is a specific gravity of 1.009, you need to raise it slowly, over at least five days. Fish can handle a drop in salt much faster than they can a rise.

Jay

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I was wrong on hyposalinity. I am not at true Hypo but rather 1.018. I do recall reading about this after I stated the QT a few weeks ago and decided not to try 1.009 on my first QT attempt. Anyway, with being at 1.018, as I start my 3 daily 25% water changes, I was thinking I would bump up .002 per water change each day to get towards 1.026. Would you agree to that approach? the intent is that salinity will match the DT as I exit Prazi dosing period.

Thoughts?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When im coming off the copper treatment i do 50% water change then add cuprisorb. I let the fish settle for a few days make sure they all look good then i start prazi treatments

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I was wrong on hyposalinity. I am not at true Hypo but rather 1.018. I do recall reading about this after I stated the QT a few weeks ago and decided not to try 1.009 on my first QT attempt. Anyway, with being at 1.018, as I start my 3 daily 25% water changes, I was thinking I would bump up .002 per water change each day to get towards 1.026. Would you agree to that approach? the intent is that salinity will match the DT as I exit Prazi dosing period.

Thoughts?
Yes, copper with 1.018 is fine.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back