QT question--start prazi now or wait for rest of fish

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Susan Edwards, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I received 4 fish from LA today--2 nice sized clowns, a Ruby head wrasse, also nice size, and a Lubbocks wrasse a bit smaller. I had a 3rd wrasse on order but somehow he's now on back order. I'm concerned about adding 1 wrasse to a group already in the qt tank, so I called and cancelled but ordered 2 more that will be here on Tue. I figure adding 2 should cut on aggression.

Everyone is eating, swimming around. They either are together or in groups of 2. Clowns are racing all over the tank--not hanging in corners like all my other clowns. Very active. The 2 wrasse sometimes hang, or explore on their own. No one has done any hiding, not even in the first 5 minutes. Everyone is also eating.

I thought to add prazi, 1 or 2 rounds. Question is: should I wait until the others are here and eating? Do a treatment now? Add carbon on Tue before adding new fish? that would only be 4 days.

If there is no sign of illness, do I need to treat? If not, how long to observe and fatten them up, not that any of them are skinny. Those clowns act like they could use that 6' 125 tank now! None of my other fish are as active!

Just since this morning, the coloring on both wrasses has really come out. I have blue lights and a touch of white, more for normallacy and to see their coloring than the fact that fish need lighting.

This is my first internet order and I am very pleased.

Tank is a 39 gal tall with aquaclear hob (good for 110 gal), 1 powerhead, very thin layer of sand as this tank had pods, some pvc towers, a ceramic decoration with hidey hole and fake plants. Used stability to help off set the new bio load (tank had 2 fish living in it for a good six months so kept some old water as well)
    20180308_185238.jpg DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0054.JPG

Tags:

2. Idoc

Idoc Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

I would wait until the others arrive to start the treatment process. Otherwise adding new fish to the system could infect the others already treated. Besides, gives you a bit longer to observe and admire them.

Yes, it is good practice to treat for flukes with PraziPro even without outward signs or symptoms. Flukes could be in the gills and you would never see them there.

3. mtraylor

mtraylor Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

First and far most. Just run some carbon on the aquarium right now. Let the fish get used to their environment and start eating. Fatten them up and watch them. Nothing more. Nothing less. Watch for white stringy poop from the fish, especially the wrasses. If you have other fish coming. Just keep running the carbon and observe and see which fish have signs of anything. Watch for flukes etc.

Wait till you get the other fish, and let them get used to aquarium as well with same watch pattern. Then when you are ready to treat for prazipro. Do not put the full treatment in right away. This will be a mistake for the wrasses. Just put 1/4 treatment in every 3 to 4 hours until you reach treatment. Treat focus for white poop if needed. Good luck and enjoy new fish.

Idoc likes this.
  4. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Thanks @Idoc and @mtraylor .. For some reason, I did not get notifications on this thread! I have carbon running and am def. enjoying them. All active, all eating, all appearing very healthy.

mtraylor and Idoc like this.
  5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I agree with waiting until everyone is eating and established a few days in the tank.

I’ve never had trouble dozing prazi all at once with wrasse, but I have when mixing meds.

6. Susan Edwards

thanks @4FordFamily Will wait for the other 2 and then a few days after Fingers are crossed second shipment is as good as this one so far. I love the colors and they are just getting better!

4FordFamily likes this.
  7. mtraylor

mtraylor Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Oh the best thing you can do in your QT while treating with Prazi is to put an air stone in there to counter act the effects of the Prazi.

8. mtraylor

Your welcome. I just got my wrasses and anthias out of QT and into the display tank. They are having a great time now that they are not all cooped up. Have my second round of fish in QT right now.

9. Susan Edwards

thanks. Will do!

Draft saved Draft deleted