QT question

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fish in QT
Flamehawk who I was told are less susceptible to ICH and a Foxface.
Both fish are spot free after a week in QT with cupramine (apparently now illegal in Australia?) LFS gave me some to treat.

My DT has 6 other fish all have shown no signs of ICH. If any I'd have expected the bottom dwelling Goby to be the next infected but after one week all are fine.

What's the chance of an ICH attack if I put the others back in DT after a week?
The Foxface seems ok and eats well while the Flamehawk eats very little.

If I continue with QT and the DT has no other out breaks after 30 days would that mean I'm a high chance of being ICH free. ie if no fish gets ICH in that 30 days does it mean all are dead?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fish in QT
Flamehawk who I was told are less susceptible to ICH and a Foxface.
Both fish are spot free after a week in QT with cupramine (apparently now illegal in Australia?) LFS gave me some to treat.

My DT has 6 other fish all have shown no signs of ICH. If any I'd have expected the bottom dwelling Goby to be the next infected but after one week all are fine.

What's the chance of an ICH attack if I put the others back in DT after a week?
The Foxface seems ok and eats well while the Flamehawk eats very little.

If I continue with QT and the DT has no other out breaks after 30 days would that mean I'm a high chance of being ICH free. ie if no fish gets ICH in that 30 days does it mean all are dead?

There are two potential sources for ich to return here: the shortened copper treatment, and then, you could have ich as a sub-acute infection in your DT. What is the history of the six fish in the DT? Were they all fully quarantined? If not, they could still be harboring a very low level of ich.

I prefer two weeks minimum with cupramine. As a side note, I've not found flame hawkfish to be less susceptible to ich. That species is however, pretty susceptible to Neobenedenia, a type of fluke. That can be treated with praziquantel or hyposalinity.

If your 6 DT fish were not given a full quarantine, then moving the two new fish in does not increase your risk, it is still there. If they HAVE been fully quarantined, your don't want to risk moving the two new fish in there early. In that case, you might consider a hyposalinity treatment for them - helps control ich and Neobenedenia flukes.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay
The 2 in QT came from the DT.

I suspect ICH was brought on due to one Chromis aggression to new additions.
He stresses new arrivals to the point they hide. I thought the Flamehawk might not have taken his crap.

They have now been in QT a week. No white spots evident on QT fish or any in DT.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back