QT setup question? Freshwater gravel ok?

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up a 75 gal with a 30 gal sump. In the process of cycling it now. In the meantime I set up a 27 gal qt for 2 small clowns with a HOB filter and a large sponge and added about 4 oz of turbo start. Wasn’t gonna use a substrate but had a couple bags of black FW aquarium gravel. So I added that as to help give the bacteria a place to occupy. Is that gravel ok to use in a salt water system? Clowns are on their second day in the qt system and doing great so far. Were very healthy to begin with and started eating right away and moving about the tank as would be expected. Thank for any advice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up a 75 gal with a 30 gal sump. In the process of cycling it now. In the meantime I set up a 27 gal qt for 2 small clowns with a HOB filter and a large sponge and added about 4 oz of turbo start. Wasn’t gonna use a substrate but had a couple bags of black FW aquarium gravel. So I added that as to help give the bacteria a place to occupy. Is that gravel ok to use in a salt water system? Clowns are on their second day in the qt system and doing great so far. Were very healthy to begin with and started eating right away and moving about the tank as would be expected. Thank for any advice.
Yes, FW gravel is actually better for a QT than calcareous marine gravel would be.
Jay

OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, inert gravel is fine, but you would be better off without any substrate anyways in a QT.
I was thinking the same thing. But I needed somewhere fot the turbo start culture to populate. Then I found the old sponge. Right now it’s mostly just an observation tank more than a QT tank. Seeing how these 2 clowns are the first livestock for the new system. Once they go into the big tank the smaller one will become a true QT. Unless these fish develop any issues in the meantime. And thanks for your reply.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. But I needed somewhere fot the turbo start culture to populate. Then I found the old sponge. Right now it’s mostly just an observation tank more than a QT tank. Seeing how these 2 clowns are the first livestock for the new system. Once they go into the big tank the smaller one will become a true QT. Unless these fish develop any issues in the meantime. And thanks for your reply.
I agree - sponge filters are a better means to provide a site for beneficial bacteria to grow in a QT. The bare bottom allows you to siphon the bottom, getting rid of fluke eggs and ich tomonts. I use inert gravel in cases where the fish need a substrate - like burrowing wrasses, burrowing gobies, etc.

Jay

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using seachem matrix in mesh bags too.

sand/substrate adds an extra complication to clean up once your done with the QT

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I have a question. We are talking about my Freshwater tank here please humor me. I recently lost all my cichlids to disease because The antibiotics are unavailable to me in Canada. There were 19. Most bred in the tank. Have had losses in the past 2 to disease but was able to get what I needed then, along with some great advice. Then when I was away the heater ran amuck, and cooked 10 more. They bred themselves back. Anyway I purified everything. I cleaned my tank weekly with a siphon attached to a drill pump. I thought all was good. When I removed the gravel ( about an inch and a half deep, the water ( about 4 gallons was the color of black coffee. I have decided to redo the tank, and read that sand is a good choice for cichlids. The type I am unsure of. It is either that or nothing. Any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I have a question. We are talking about my Freshwater tank here please humor me. I recently lost all my cichlids to disease because The antibiotics are unavailable to me in Canada. There were 19. Most bred in the tank. Have had losses in the past 2 to disease but was able to get what I needed then, along with some great advice. Then when I was away the heater ran amuck, and cooked 10 more. They bred themselves back. Anyway I purified everything. I cleaned my tank weekly with a siphon attached to a drill pump. I thought all was good. When I removed the gravel ( about an inch and a half deep, the water ( about 4 gallons was the color of black coffee. I have decided to redo the tank, and read that sand is a good choice for cichlids. The type I am unsure of. It is either that or nothing. Any thoughts?
What species of cichlid?

If the water down in your gravel was dark, like black coffee I would not use sand in that tank - the bioload is too high, and it will probably go anoxic. To be honest, I would go with an old school under gravel filter, a hang on the back filter, and then do enough water changes to keep the pH of the tank above 7.0 at all times.

Also, beware that if you try to "redo" a tank that has fish in it, you may kill off enough beneficial bacteria in the process, that you'll them run into an ammonia spike.

Jay

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of cichlid?

If the water down in your gravel was dark, like black coffee I would not use sand in that tank - the bioload is too high, and it will probably go anoxic. To be honest, I would go with an old school under gravel filter, a hang on the back filter, and then do enough water changes to keep the pH of the tank above 7.0 at all times.

Also, beware that if you try to "redo" a tank that has fish in it, you may kill off enough beneficial bacteria in the process, that you'll them run into an ammonia spike.

Jay
Thanks Jay: I was thinking of an under gravel filter, and racking the gravel to release the filth. At the same time leaving a hole to the glass bottom so I can siphon it out. As to the fish. They all died if anyone knows a source for the anti biotic Metronidazole trade names Emtryl, Flagyl, Melafix.I would like to have some on hand. When I calm down I would like to raise another batch, as they were so connected. Three of the fish when they were dying had another laying beside it. My fish were Malawi yellows. All of them were bred in the tank. Lost the original's some time ago. I wont go that route unless I can get the anti Biotic as above as it treats Malawi bloat which is what they had. Thanks again Wally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay: I was thinking of an under gravel filter, and racking the gravel to release the filth. At the same time leaving a hole to the glass bottom so I can siphon it out. As to the fish. They all died if anyone knows a source for the anti biotic Metronidazole trade names Emtryl, Flagyl, Melafix.I would like to have some on hand. When I calm down I would like to raise another batch, as they were so connected. Three of the fish when they were dying had another laying beside it. My fish were Malawi yellows. All of them were bred in the tank. Lost the original's some time ago. I wont go that route unless I can get the anti Biotic as above as it treats Malawi bloat which is what they had. Thanks again Wally
Try looking for Metroplex, that contains metronidazole. Melafix does not contain it.

Jay

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steps to Clean Old Aquarium Gravel: Step one is the standard cleaning solution: about 10% bleach and 90% hot or warm water, or you can use a lower concentration of bleach to be safe for fish after that. The second step is to put the fish gravel in the pot plus the bleach solution, pour the water to cover the gravel. Soak the gravel for no more than a quarter of an hour, during which time you can stir to irritate the cleaning solution. The fourth step is to rinse the aquarium gravel and then dry it. Finally, return it to the aquarium.

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steps to Clean Old Aquarium Gravel: Step one is the standard cleaning solution: about 10% bleach and 90% hot or warm water, or you can use a lower concentration of bleach to be safe for fish after that. The second step is to put the fish gravel in the pot plus the bleach solution, pour the water to cover the gravel. Soak the gravel for no more than a quarter of an hour, during which time you can stir to irritate the cleaning solution. The fourth step is to rinse the aquarium gravel and then dry it. Finally, return it to the aquarium.
Gravel open the way for the growth and development of a specific bacteria that is beneficial to aquatic life. But sometimes it also harms your fish. I recommend cleaning it to keep the balance of the ecosystem.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravel open the way for the growth and development of a specific bacteria that is beneficial to aquatic life. But sometimes it also harms your fish. I recommend cleaning it to keep the balance of the ecosystem.
I agree 100% but am always afraid of over stressing the fish

Back