QT - Started dosing copper power and fish started flashing

Pocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 10 years and am finally starting a full qt regimen for new fish. My new hippo tang and midas blenny have been in qt for about 2 weeks now. I've done 2 rounds of prazi during this time and then a 50% water change. The hippo flashed when I first got it and especially aggressively after I dosed the first round of prazi 2 weeks ago, but has since been normal. They do not have any signs of ich or other disease. They are both eating well, hide a lot, but swim around in the open much more than before. Yesterday, I started dosing copper power at 0.4ppm. Today, I notice both of them flashing in the morning which I have not seen them do in more than a week. I dosed a bit more copper to 0.56ppm and they both seem to be more agitated and flashing although still excited to eat when they see me. Is it normal for fish to flash after the introduction of copper? Should I continue dosing to the therapeutic level or wait to see if they stop flashing?

Notes: I have an ammonia badge with no ammonia showing (I used seeded medium from my DT and dosed a bottle of bio-spira when I first started the qt), the tank is at 77 degrees and salinity at 1.20 (matched to the LFS water).

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything specific about copper that would make the fish flash. In some cases, I suspect that prazi and other meds will cause any flukes to become irritated on the fish and to move about. This in turn could cause increased flashing. Neither of those fish are really sensitive to copper, and I think the risk of not getting up to a full dose is much greater for the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Pocky

Pocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay! I'll watch them today and continue adding copper assuming they continue to eat well with otherwise normal behavior except some flashing.

Although I have not posted much, your posts (I've read hundreds of them) along with so many others have been extremely helpful to me over the years. Thanks again!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back