QT TANK Aka Cast-A-Reefpital

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I started with a Fluval Evo 13 gal 6 lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand as a impulse buy/YOLO mindset. Took the tank out the box and all the goodies inside and put it together. Was happy. After extensive research said hmmmm nah need a bigger tank and here I am now. Decided to utilize it as QT tank.

What should be on my shopping list!? I already have one put together but just want others thoughts as to what they would do and what they would buy.

Thanks everyone!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on space allowed for a tank, budget, type of fish you hope to have, strength of your floor, are you looking to stay with a all in one tank or separate tank/sump set up, etc.
I’m one of those bigger is easier type of people in this hobby, but with that said I’m looking at a all in one IM Nuvo 40 for the kids to learn on.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Haha but I guess I suck at story telling. I did end up going bigger to a 40 gal which I have a member tank thread going. But I had originally bought a 13 gal which I am going to utilize as a Quarantine tank. Would it be the same process as setting up Reef Tank? It’s just used as a tank for treatment?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Haha but I guess I suck at story telling. I did end up going bigger to a 40 gal which I have a member tank thread going. But I had originally bought a 13 gal which I am going to utilize as a Quarantine tank. Would it be the same process as setting up Reef Tank? It’s just used as a tank for treatment?
Yes and no. You do everything the same but no sand, rock, decorations, etc. all these things can and will absorb medications. For a QT tank you just have the bear essentials Heater, air stone/sponge filter, maybe a powerhead, etc. no light as light can neutralize some meds like CP. Basically if you can’t wash it with a bleach mixture after each round of QTing fish don’t put it in the tank.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. You do everything the same but no sand, rock, decorations, etc. all these things can and will absorb medications. For a QT tank you just have the bear essentials Heater, air stone/sponge filter, maybe a powerhead, etc. no light as light can neutralize some meds like CP. Basically if you can’t wash it with a bleach mixture after each round of QTing fish don’t put it in the tank.
Ty!

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome! Ask away it’s best to ask first then it is to go opps and be in a pickle. Lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back