QT Tank Filter- Sponge or Hob?

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is set up and cycling so naturally its time to spend more money lol. I've done a lot of research on QT tanks and I'm looking to get that squared away. I've decided to go the non traditional 10 0r 15 gal tank route- I know its small but I do plan on keeping all fish I add on the small side (max 4 inches) and adding no more than 2 at a time.

Given the size I'm going with what are people's thoughts on sponge filters vs HOB filters for the QT?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB on my QT tank.

With an HOB, you also get the benefit of some flow/current, which a sponge filter won't provide.

Saying that, I also have a sponge filter ready to be deployed if necessary. I also run an air-stone in my QT tank 24/7.

Between an air stone and an HOB, you should be pretty well covered for O2, flow, and filtration.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB on my QT tank.

With an HOB, you also get the benefit of some flow/current, which a sponge filter won't provide.

Saying that, I also have a sponge filter ready to be deployed if necessary. I also run an air-stone in my QT tank 24/7.

Between an air stone and an HOB, you should be pretty well covered for O2, flow, and filtration.
Airstone also works really well - main advantage to a sponge in that case is extra room for bacteria to grow.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same set up but went with 10 gallon (just don't have the room). I prefer the HOB (oversize the Aquaclear - I think I'm running a 70). Easy to add poly filter, carbon, etc plus the flow is enough although I have put a small flow pump (250 gph). Plus makes good hospital setup. Just keep some media (matrix) in your main system and you can have tank setup in 15-20 min assuming you have water on hand.

Just as as aside on small tank QT. In my experience, the small tank isn't really true QT system though unless those fish are very small (juvenile) and less active species. It does work for an observation tank for a few days to make sure the fish didn't arrive with something that would show up in that time. But after that, some fish I've put in there start exhibiting signs of stress. I think that stress is a bigger fish killer than disease as it taxes the immune system so I move to display quickly. So far, haven't lost any fish due to arriving with diseases.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an HOB is superior to a sponge filter since they also provide mechanical filtering and current/flow.

Sponge filters aren't needed if you have an HOB. HOB will hold extra sponges for the bacteria, along with floss or whatever else you want to run in there.

A sponge filter by itself doesn't provide any flow or mechanical filtration, so not ideal by themselves, and yet if you have an HOB, it makes the sponge filter redundant.

An HOB and an air-stone is the way to go imho, forget the sponge filter. I've had the sponge filter for over 2 years and still haven't taken it out of the box as it just isn't needed with an HOB and an airstone already in the tank.

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a bit more expensive but I like the tidal HOBs since they surface skim and the filtration is easily customized, for example if you keep bio media in your sump or DT it can be easily moved into the hob for qt use. Also aeration you can easily get by letting the hob outflow from a little above the water if you're not somewhere where the noise will bother you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back