QT Tank Filtration

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve setup 2 QT tanks one week ago. Both tanks are 20 gallon longs with HOB filters that have a bio wheel. I did not install the blue filter with carbon into the HOB. For the people that have QT’d before, do you put any type of filter in the HOB to help trap the debris (food, fish poop, etc.)?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of these HOB filters come with carbon cartridges. If you wish to add copper or medicines then carbon is not recommended. filter wool & sponges can be used if they are not 'ammonia-removing' or 'nitrate- removing' varieties.
they are basically laced with chemicals to neutralize ammonia/nitrates/heavy metals etc.

OP
OP
P

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attached a pic of the filter pad that fits my HOB. Is this pad something that I can use without affecting the copper?

Attachments

• 7088E6C6-4CE8-4207-8635-E9819B89499C.jpeg
    7088E6C6-4CE8-4207-8635-E9819B89499C.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 25

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attached a pic of the filter pad that fits my HOB. Is this pad something that I can use without affecting the copper?

I think you should be fine with this filter pad. I don't think it is laced with anything to remove anything (other than solid particles) from your water column.

During quarantine, if you want to remove any of the medications you are treating with, you can throw in a carbon filter to help with this. Just remove the carbon filters when treating the tanks with medications.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always just cut the bottom of the blue pad with a razor and removed the carbon granules. Then it’s just a pad and is easily cleaned and reused by rinsing with a hose or faucet.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back