qt tank in laundry room?

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone think of any issues setting up a quarantine tank in a laundry room? sometimes can smell dryer sheets doing work in there... think that could be an issue?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone think of any issues setting up a quarantine tank in a laundry room? sometimes can smell dryer sheets doing work in there... think that could be an issue?
I can't say for sure, but I know I wouldn't trust running one in mine. Lots of potential issues from soap and scents.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detergents and other chemicals in the air could impact the tank. I also know some laundry rooms get really hot with the dryer running if it isn't well ventalated. Loud noises and lots of people movement in and out of the room may also stress out the fish in a practically empty QT tank so I would add plenty of cover for them such as pipe fittings.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but I know I wouldn't trust running one in mine. Lots of potential issues from soap and scents.

I wouldn't trust it, if you have any other possible location at all. QTing has enough of its own challenges, without those unknown factors.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not condoning or supporting it, my in wall tank build had the laundry room next room over with no door I'm the doorway between. My washer also drains into the utility sink and into an ejection pit. Lots of chances for air and water to mix..

I have not seen any side effects.

My significant other would probably have a lot to say if I tried to set one up in there though. For your safety I wouldn't recommend it [emoji4]

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You the only occupant ? If there are others do you trust them to pay attention?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not condoning or supporting it, my in wall tank build had the laundry room next room over with no door I'm the doorway between. My washer also drains into the utility sink and into an ejection pit. Lots of chances for air and water to mix..

I have not seen any side effects.

My significant other would probably have a lot to say if I tried to set one up in there though. For your safety I wouldn't recommend it [emoji4]
Fair enough.. but not everyone wants "arctic coral". Isn't this a pic of your tank?

upload_2018-3-21_14-51-23.png

:p:p:p:p

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. You guys are funny. For what it's worth, I'll say that as long as vibrations and temperature will not be an issue and contamination possibilities is kept to an absolute minimum, then it should be ok. You don't want to set the QT on the dryer or anything. ;)

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the feedback! the room is fairly large probably 80sq ft or so. it is adjacent to a bathroom and has no door so plenty of air circulation. its proximity to sink/drain/ro system is what is really driving my desire to place it there. it would be aprox 12ft away from the washer and dryer and cabinet holding soaps and stuff. i just noticed the dryer sheet smell while drying a load of laundry the other day when i was in there. could always switch to unscented i guess? if thats even a thing?

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running any air injection (a skimmer, air stone, etc.) make sure that the injector/pump is filtered (they make carbon infused pads you can use for this) or more ideally, is pulling air from outside the room.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the feedback! the room is fairly large probably 80sq ft or so. it is adjacent to a bathroom and has no door so plenty of air circulation. its proximity to sink/drain/ro system is what is really driving my desire to place it there. it would be aprox 12ft away from the washer and dryer and cabinet holding soaps and stuff. i just noticed the dryer sheet smell while drying a load of laundry the other day when i was in there. could always switch to unscented i guess? if thats even a thing?
My biggest concern for a fish only QT in a laundry room would be VOC's. You could get a bacterial bloom from them that would consume all of the O2 out of the water. Soap is obviously the other concern since it can interact with the fishes gills and block the necessary chemical exchanges.

If you can control those two factors, or at least know what to look for, you should be fine. I just know that I couldn't do it in my laundry room.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually saw a youtube video of someone who's DISPLAY was on top of his washer and dryer. I should find the link and post it. It was on a shelf of course but he was even talking about upgrading and putting the washer dryer inside his tank stand.

I mix my saltwater and store my RODI water in my laundry room. The saltwater is mixed to use open top, the RO barrel is always closed. No one in my household is splashing around old style powdered laundry detergent, which they might not even make anymore? Liquid detergent or pods is just inserted in while doing a load and that's it. The most spillage of chemicals would be when I occasionally add bleach to the filter socks themselves and not just into the machine.

A lot obviously depends on your laundry room, how big is it? How careless are you about spilling things. I'd imagine an old basement laundry room is a lot different then my tiny laundry room which is off my dinning room (right next to my display tank no less).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dryer is electric..I’m assuming your referencing a gas dryer?
No, and a gas dryer should only be a problem if it was leaky. CO2 and water are the byproducts of that combustion ;)

Most scented stuff is carried through the air using different volatile organics. Candles, air fresheners, vaping, scented cleaners and stuff like that. They normally don't do much harm, but too much will cause a bacteria bloom. Normally clear and slimy.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually saw a youtube video of someone who's DISPLAY was on top of his washer and dryer. I should find the link and post it. It was on a shelf of course but he was even talking about upgrading and putting the washer dryer inside his tank stand.
He wouldn't have to worry about agitating his ZEOVIT:p

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back