QT tank questions

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I just got 2 misbar clownfish on 11/6 (Friday) and so far everything looks great. They are eating and they are very active. They also don't show any signs of any sickness. Do I still need to treat or do I just keep them in there for the full time frame and only treat of there are signs. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I currently only have a 10 gallon tank, with an air bubbler, heater and a little LED light with no medication for the moment. The temperature is 75.7 and the Salinity between 1.018 and 1.019.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I just got 2 misbar clownfish on 11/6 (Friday) and so far everything looks great. They are eating and they are very active. They also don't show any signs of any sickness. Do I still need to treat or do I just keep them in there for the full time frame and only treat of there are signs. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I currently only have a 10 gallon tank, with an air bubbler, heater and a little LED light with no medication for the moment. The temperature is 75.7 and the Salinity between 1.018 and 1.019.

Do you have any kind of filter to help keep the ammonia down? Do you have an ammonia badge to let you know if its staying in the safe range? Also, you can in fact just watch for signs of disease. But if it were me, I'd treat for ick and flukes anyway.

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the seachem ammonia alert badge and I do have copper and ich x. What else should I get to treat?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the seachem ammonia alert badge and I do have copper and ich x. What else should I get to treat?

Well i'd suggest a HOB filter. One big enough for the size tank you have with a simple foam block inside seeded with bacteria

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But won't that pull out the medication?

No it wont. Carbon will do that so if your filter comes with one of those plastic flat things that has carbon inside it- take that out. Use just a simple foam block with bacteria seeded it into it. Your going to need it to help control ammonia and for water movement.

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wont. Carbon will do that so if your filter comes with one of those plastic flat things that has carbon inside it- take that out. Use just a simple foam block with bacteria seeded it into it. Your going to need it to help control ammonia and for water movement.

Ok and will copper and ich x treat flukes?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and will copper and ich x treat flukes?

No, You'll need Prazipro for that. You can't mix the two either. Do the Prazi first then strip it all out of the water with carbon and water changes. Then you can do the copper after removing the carbon.

OP
OP

1wwoods7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, You'll need Prazipro for that. You can't mix the two either. Do the Prazi first then strip it all out of the water with carbon and water changes. Then you can do the copper after removing the carbon.

Sweet thank you for the advice!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @melypr1985 and @Humblefish,
Do I need to have a filter before I treat work prazipro and Ich-x?

That would be my first priority depending on how bad the fish need treatment. If you need to start right away, I would do a good water change then dose your prazi. Dont do both meds at the same time (just a not-so-subtle reminder lol)!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @melypr1985 and @Humblefish,
Do I need to have a filter before I treat work prazipro and Ich-x?

I just looked up the ingredients of Ich-X: water, formaldehyde (<5%), methanol (<2%), malachite green chloride (<0.1%). This is not a medication I would use in-tank. Being it contains formaldehyde & malachite green, it would only be suitable to use as a bath solution if the fish were to show symptoms of velvet or brook. If you are wanting to prophylactically treat for ich, I would use a copper based medication such as Cupramine, Coppersafe or Copper Power.

As far as needing a (biological) filter, you need one at all times in QT unless you are committed to doing WCs as needed to control the ammonia. This can sometimes turn into a daily task depending upon the bio-load of your QT. :eek: Which is why I always use a bio filter. :cool:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back