Qt tank reuse

iansu1075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have a 29 gallon tank that I have used for qt fish. I used copper power, prazipro, etc in the tank. I’m starting a qt tank for corals and inverts. The tank has been cleaned with citric acid and is currently empty. Can I use the 29g for qt corals or with it previously used with meds be not worth it?

thanks

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have a 29 gallon tank that I have used for qt fish. I used copper power, prazipro, etc in the tank. I’m starting a qt tank for corals and inverts. The tank has been cleaned with citric acid and is currently empty. Can I use the 29g for qt corals or with it previously used with meds be not worth it?

thanks
I wouldn't. Copper can be absorbed into the silicone and can leech back into the water.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, that's one of those hobby myths that I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually demonstrate. I've used copper in tanks and then reused them for corals. Never had a copper reading nor any problems with the corals. I see no reason not to use the tank as along as the silicone is in good shape.

OP
OP
I

iansu1075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, that's one of those hobby myths that I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually demonstrate. I've used copper in tanks and then reused them for corals. Never had a copper reading nor any problems with the corals. I see no reason not to use the tank as along as the silicone is in good shape.
Thanks. The tank is in good condition. Once I fill it up I could test it with my Hanna copper checker worst case scenario.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that seems like a prudent thing to do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reuse a bare all glass tank that has been treated with no problem as long as you wash it out first. Methylene blue can stain silicone, but it doesn’t release back out to any great degree.
Jay

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can add a little bit of seachem cuprisorb just to be sure. my waterbox came with a separate ATO tank which i used as QT for fish. now it is back on it's ATO duties. I used cuprisorb till my copper reading was zero. then used a wavemaker to move vinegar+ water in the tank for 24 hrs n done.
Its been topping off my DT for over 2 weeks now. no problems so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back