QT tank review

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been the most successful when it comes to QT. The fish seem to get ammonia sickness at some point in the process, so i haven't added any new fish in a year. But i ordered a tang and a buddy of mine is shutting down a tank and i will be getting a Midas blenny (young) and a mandarin dragonet (looks well fed). so today i setup the QT tank and wondered if anyone could give some tips or critique my setup. i will be dosing tisbe pods for the dragonet, also going to try and feed sparingly for the other two mostly frozen and nuri. also is treating them with prazzi and paragaurd fine? i would do the dosing seperatly and take the correct steps before dosing the nest medicine. like i said my main problem has been ammonia being too toxic.

1x airstone
1x ammonia floater (first time using it)
1x powerhead
1x HOB filter
10x ceramic balls in filter from display refuge
1x heater
1x light (wont be used much i dont think)
1x sponge that was sitting in the sump for 2 months

1610324059719.png

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set the tank up today, the fish should all be added by Tuesday or Wednesday btw

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like microbater7, biospira, dr Tim’s one and only, i usually add a variety when startIng new tank.
well ive used dr tims before so ill go with that one again, do you know of any problems that may occur if i use meds about a week after dosing the bacteria? that may be a dumb question

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand biospira and dr Tim’s are basically the same product. Dr Tim designed them both.
wow thats pretty interesting Dr tim makes some good stuff, hopefully these three sources of bacteria will be enough for the little guys

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I use that’s different is a bubbler sponge that I soak in biospira, no ceramics, but always use the big bottle of biospira
yeah i never dosed bacteria to the QT before i just always relied on media, harsh lesson to learn i guess

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I failed with QT for 2 years, last month - I seem to have finally found a path that is working - here is what I have done
1. 40G QT - completely empty, drained and dried for 2 weeks
2. Moved Two Bio Slabs (8 inch by 8 inch by 4 inch) from DT (was there for 2 years)
3. Added a Skimmer rated for 90G (my QT is sort of Sump!)
4. Added a UV rated for 150G
5. Removed my canister filter, air-bubbler and sand
6. Added a PVC elbow and added water from DT to jump start.
7. Daily, I doze NOPOX 1 ml for 30G water (so 1.5 ml for my QT, daily

This is it!

This QT setup was ready in 2 days to add fish, its been 15 days of fishes being in this QT and 100% fine thus with 5 fishes QT-ing right now.

Good luck!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion dragonets don't need to be quarantined and considering the ammonia problems I would maybe consider chancing it with the dragonet. I mean they are pretty dang hardy and they are gonna be much less stressed if they are in big tank with lots of live rock to hunt in, and in a tank that size the pods are gonna get decimated, so it'll be good at first but not for long. I would also recommend not using Nori sheets in a tank that small. I would use Hikari Algae Pellets and maybe the occasional Algae Wafer. I feel the Nori will make the water unclean fast and Hikari Algae pellets are phenomenally accepted and nutritious. But I know this is controversial with the Mandarin QT. But I would definitely at least dose something in the QT that will kill off internal worms (I don't think it had to have copper), I feel that can be the devil for blennys and dragonets.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi All - Happy New Year!

I have an 8ft 240Gallon tank with 40G sump (with skimmer, GFO reactor and LOTS of rocks, bio media/ slab/ balls. I have a lot 12 big fishes

My tank used to have sponges but 1.5 years back I had to use Copper and since then I have been changing water and run carbon, GFO, UV, Skimmer, siphoning sand, etc. every month but to no avail.

My tank must have good bacteria. We still do NOT have any sponges and I put in a box of Pods/ Copepods but I do not see any sponges and nor do I see the Pods/ Copepods.

Any thoughts if I am doing something off ... I do not want any reef but I do want sponges, Coraline algae ... what can I do to make my QT thrive? How will I know if my system is "Live" or not?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back