QT tank review

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't Quarantine fish.

why not? theyre coming from another tank and an online seller?

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion dragonets don't need to be quarantined and considering the ammonia problems I would maybe consider chancing it with the dragonet. I mean they are pretty dang hardy and they are gonna be much less stressed if they are in big tank with lots of live rock to hunt in, and in a tank that size the pods are gonna get decimated, so it'll be good at first but not for long. I would also recommend not using Nori sheets in a tank that small. I would use Hikari Algae Pellets and maybe the occasional Algae Wafer. I feel the Nori will make the water unclean fast and Hikari Algae pellets are phenomenally accepted and nutritious. But I know this is controversial with the Mandarin QT. But I would definitely at least dose something in the QT that will kill off internal worms (I don't think it had to have copper), I feel that can be the devil for blennys and dragonets.
i was thinking of not giving either of them copper anyway, so im glad someone agrees with me, the tang will undergo copper though, so i guess i can treat them all with prazzi and once that is done move them to the display tank and leave the tang for last

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - Happy New Year!

I have an 8ft 240Gallon tank with 40G sump (with skimmer, GFO reactor and LOTS of rocks, bio media/ slab/ balls. I have a lot 12 big fishes

My tank used to have sponges but 1.5 years back I had to use Copper and since then I have been changing water and run carbon, GFO, UV, Skimmer, siphoning sand, etc. every month but to no avail.

My tank must have good bacteria. We still do NOT have any sponges and I put in a box of Pods/ Copepods but I do not see any sponges and nor do I see the Pods/ Copepods.

Any thoughts if I am doing something off ... I do not want any reef but I do want sponges, Coraline algae ... what can I do to make my QT thrive? How will I know if my system is "Live" or not?
im not sure my man, try making a post and see if some experts help you out

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a very interesting post, i like some of the points it made but it pains me to standby and lose fish until they become immune potentially. I also dont go crazy with meds but i do like to "clean" them before they are introduced to my other fish.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that! That's the right mindset in my opinion. I hate when people just quarantine fish and add copper constantly to every fish even off the bat. But that thought process makes sense, and yeah especially tangs, they're pretty ich prone. I had 2 clowns and the female got ich because she was pushing away my chromis. I wish I had acted sooner, but I did a freshwater dip on the male clown and the clown made a full recovery! The female sadly passed away, she kept stressing herself by being aggressive toward the chromis for some reason. But luckily my Yellow Watchman Goby, Chromis, and Scooter Blenny all didn't even get ich. So it isn't the end of the world getting ich, but definitely should not be taken lightly. You're definitely taking the right steps. Garlic is great. It helps prevent ich, and giving fish places to hide and good acclimation will help a lot too. There are also products that you can add which help protect the slime coat of fish when entering the aquarium, and I don't think that can hurt, they may help with ammonia too. Fritz ammonia remover/conditioner is good in my opinion and helped with ammonia in my tank. Hope all goes well for you and your fish :) Also maybe think of getting a baby brine shrimp hatchery, then you can have live brine shrimp on hand so easily. BRS sells a good one, it's simple but it makes it super easy and you don't have to plug anything in. (So you can better maintain your dragonet).

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is always just a Tidal HOB filter with sponge and filter floss. PVC or other plastic decorations for fish to hide in.
You don't want rock or other porous bio-media like ceramics because they mess with medication levels. Also they absorb copper and then you can't use them for anything else.
Yes to bacteria in a bottle, they all work. I'm trying Fritz for the first time right now. So far so good. But I've had luck with Dr. Tims, Bio-Spira, Brightwell, Seachem Stability and one other I can't recall the name of.

- D

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that! That's the right mindset in my opinion. I hate when people just quarantine fish and add copper constantly to every fish even off the bat. But that thought process makes sense, and yeah especially tangs, they're pretty ich prone. I had 2 clowns and the female got ich because she was pushing away my chromis. I wish I had acted sooner, but I did a freshwater dip on the male clown and the clown made a full recovery! The female sadly passed away, she kept stressing herself by being aggressive toward the chromis for some reason. But luckily my Yellow Watchman Goby, Chromis, and Scooter Blenny all didn't even get ich. So it isn't the end of the world getting ich, but definitely should not be taken lightly. You're definitely taking the right steps. Garlic is great. It helps prevent ich, and giving fish places to hide and good acclimation will help a lot too. There are also products that you can add which help protect the slime coat of fish when entering the aquarium, and I don't think that can hurt, they may help with ammonia too. Fritz ammonia remover/conditioner is good in my opinion and helped with ammonia in my tank. Hope all goes well for you and your fish :) Also maybe think of getting a baby brine shrimp hatchery, then you can have live brine shrimp on hand so easily. BRS sells a good one, it's simple but it makes it super easy and you don't have to plug anything in. (So you can better maintain your dragonet).
im sorry to hear that i had a run in with ich on my first tang he made it 28/30 days in QT, i originally bought this QT for him and now i wont treat without it, but i havent done it correctly, so hopefully it works with the input from you guys this time, first time getting to add some fish in a year so im pretty excited!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back