QT tank setup

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on setting a Qt tank. My main DT is still have not arrived yet, so this gives me a lot of time to plan and execute on QT plan.

I'm thinking of just getting a Fluval EVO 13.5 all-in-one for the Qt. I could save a few bucks by getting a plain 10g tank, and add filter and light (for coral qt). Based on the review, the 16W LED light should be OK for softies and LPS. Since i'm new, I don't think i will need worry about SPS anytime soon.

Anything else I need to be aware off. I have 50lb of dry rock cycling in a tub, and want to start QT fish; starting with 5 green chromist.

in 1 month, the my main tank should be here, the cycle should be done and fish is ready to go in as well.

Will this work?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but the Evo might be good for a long term coral qt if you're putting it somewhere aesthetics are important, but I see most people changing the lighting out even in the absence of SPS, so take that into account.

The ease of cleaning and economics of a simple 10g I think is better. I'm a fan of SeaChem Tidal filters (the 35 fits on the short end of a 10g) if you want something other than a sponge filter. Add a heater some pvc pieces and go... cover it with some eggcrate that can be used as frag rack when you're done QT'ing fish. Then the cheapy set up leaves an extra $100 to spend on a light vs. what you would spend for the Evo.

Now, all that said, I was dreaming today of having a sumped frag QT tank, because where mine is makes for a bit of an eyesore (and I want to run additional equip). However that gets into project scope creep and costs drift up.

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Beau_B . The cost differences is actually not as much. The EVO is on-sale for $100, and by the time you add the tidal and tank, its going to be that much of a difference. Yeah, i'm plaining to put this in my home office, so nicer setup is a bonus. Got your point on the ease of cleaning plus the light. thanks!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, as soon as you put 5 green chromis into a QT tank you can start counting down... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... 0. I'm thinking especially in that small space aggression will be an issue.

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, as soon as you put 5 green chromis into a QT tank you can start counting down... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... 0. I'm thinking especially in that small space aggression will be an issue.

How do you QT chromis? One at a time? It going to take 5X as long. I am expecting some loses but hope it won't be 100% at the end of the QT period.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you QT chromis? One at a time? It going to take 5X as long. I am expecting some loses but hope it won't be 100% at the end of the QT period.

They just tend to beat each other up - I'm not sure what the trick is! I've also seen a lot of threads about them coming with uronema. Be sure to check out:
especially:

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @don_cluwish I read the QT process, and decided on going with Prazi + Copper. QT for a full 30 days.

I am now worried about uronema. I have 2 chomis in my current 15g tank. My new tank will be a 65G. Still small but its 4X bigger than what I have now. Yes, they beat each other a bit, but seems to be doing OK for the last 3 months. Too early to claim success. However, one of the chromis have some slight discoloration ( hard to take pic), more noticeable only when light reflecting off the shiny scales. Instead of greenish hue, i can see some brownish spots. Not red or anything very obvious. I was thinking it is just minor wound from them picking on each other. Now i read up on uronema, i'm a little concern. Well, what ever it is , it is the same for the last 2 months. The chromis is eating well, and sometimes still picking on each other. I have a Neon Dotty back in the same tank, mostly ignore the 2 chromis but occasionally will let the chromis know who's the boss.

I might just treat the existing chromis with Metrolex for 14days in the QT tank just to be safe.

Back