QT Tank which size would be best. 20G long or 20G tall

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering what would be best for a QT tank for my 100g waterbox. looking to get wrasses and 1 tang as the last fish.

20g long is
Dimensions
30.25" x 12.5" x 12.75"

20g high
Dimensions
24.25" x 12.5" x 16.75"

id like the smaller footprint of the 20g high but unsure if that will house a tang for 30 days.. MAYBE two if i get 2 at once...

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 long. More room for the fish to move, and more surface area for gas exchange
agreed. go with the 20L

DARN! lol i didnt want the footprint or to find a cheap dresser for spare room to put it on.... ok ill go for the long..

and just a aquaclear hang on back???

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's work just fine. Word to the wise, keep the sponge part of the filter in the sump until you are ready to use the QT. Keeps a bacterial culture going

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's work just fine. Word to the wise, keep the sponge part of the filter in the sump until you are ready to use the QT. Keeps a bacterial culture going

im glad you brought that up as i dont understand that part..... so if i use the sponge to QT first set of fish.... i cant reput it in sump for next set right if i break down the tank... and get fish later. i gotta buy a new sponge and soak it in sump and then use that right. cause from what i understand.. once touches copper its a no no for my tank.

should i be buying a air pump with a stone for QT to add extra???

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im glad you brought that up as i dont understand that part..... so if i use the sponge to QT first set of fish.... i cant reput it in sump for next set right if i break down the tank... and get fish later. i gotta buy a new sponge and soak it in sump and then use that right. cause from what i understand.. once touches copper its a no no for my tank.

should i be buying a air pump with a stone for QT to add extra???
You basically have the idea yes. Having a spare sponge ready to go in the sump if the display will help with Ammonia in the QT. You are correct in saying that the sponge is a throw away after using copper. They are super cheap, so hopefully this isn't an issue.
You can definitely add an airstone to the QT. Helps with gas exchange in a smaller system. Several of the meds we use in QT have a downside of depleting O2, so having an airstone is a great idea

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself an ammonia badge in the meantime to keep an eye.

ok hang on back aquaclear. with just a sponge. no carbon or anything in it, heater, airstone/pump, badge. powerhead or not needed???

i see a danner supreme 3watt air pump.. and i guess a medium air stone.

Last edited:

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need the powerhead or airstone unless you are going to QT anemones or certain corals... I believe.

If you run the marinepure cubes or balls normally, you could use them vice the sponges. You still would toss them after use in QT.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would highly recommend using an air stone and pump in addition to the hob filter if using any meds since they deplete O2

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back