QT tank

LMF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank ,should I just observe the fish/croals/inverts for anything or administer medication straight away many thanks in advance

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That question will open a can of worms on R2R! So many believe in only observation while others believe in prophylactically treating fish. I currently fall into the treatment group of that discussion.

A lot depends on the type of fish you have since some don't handle medications very well. But, if you do just want to monitor; then watch the fish closely for a few weeks in a separate tank. Closely monitor for changes to their appearance, eating habits, weight loss, etc...

If you are looking to treat the fish to rule out anything...many still treat first with copper for 14-30 days at therapeutic levels, Prazipro in the water for flukes, and feeding General Cure+Focus for intestinal parasites/worms. A few of these treatments can be done at the same time. Then follow up with an observation period for a week or two.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank ,should I just observe the fish/croals/inverts for anything or administer medication straight away many thanks in advance
I feel like you're trying to pick a fight

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 2 years in, 8 fish and a bunch of inverts and corals. I've never done anything other than acclimate

OP
OP
L

LMF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I just asked an honest question didn’t realise it would be so controversial

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I just asked an honest question didn’t realise it would be so controversial
It's probably the most heated debate on this forum. QT or don't? If you do QT do you immediately medicate or not? Everyone has their own opinion and everyone else is wrong lol

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the way I followed. There are lots of other articles arguing the complete opposite though.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be in the side of not QT, buy and drop the fish guy. Never have a problem. I just upgraded my tank and will be putting an Achilles, so all current fish and new fish are being QT’d with copper. The new tank is fallow to make sure no ich is lurking around.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best QT/santitation routine is the one that you can maintain. For as long as you own a tank(s). Taking a lukewarm approach one way or another is just inviting problems. While I don't do it myself, I don't have a problem with people who just put livestock into their DT...as long as they're aware of the risks and have a solid plan for treatment should a particular problem arise. I QT all non-fish livestock in decorative jar builds for the fallow period. It feels like less of a chore this way and I can enjoy inverts and corals in a more intimate fashion.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back