QT Tanks After Treating for Velvet/Ich

moodyad10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been asked but not finding quite the answer and maybe overthinking this. Just finished a QT with Copper Power to treat an outbreak of velvet or ich (more inclined to think it was velvet). My question is if I plan to always quarantine with Copper Power for at least 14 days for any new fish going forward, can I leave the QT tanks I just treated my recent outbreak running since the copper should treat any issues, or should I break them down and start them over? Wanted to leave the QT tanks running if possible since they are cycled. Sorry if this is a dumb question. This has been my first serious issue and still learning the correct ways to recover.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been asked but not finding quite the answer and maybe overthinking this. Just finished a QT with Copper Power to treat an outbreak of velvet or ich (more inclined to think it was velvet). My question is if I plan to always quarantine with Copper Power for at least 14 days for any new fish going forward, can I leave the QT tanks I just treated my recent outbreak running since the copper should treat any issues, or should I break them down and start them over? Wanted to leave the QT tanks running if possible since they are cycled. Sorry if this is a dumb question. This has been my first serious issue and still learning the correct ways to recover.

Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Copper Power and Coppersafe should be run for 30 days.

I usually keep my quarantine systems running, you never know when you might need to isolate a fish, or find that "one perfect fish" at the store that you just have to buy (grin). Some people will tell you that you need to strip down the QT after you've used it because "it is contaminated" - this of course isn't true. because it has no disease in it that the fish you just moved out of it didn't already carry over to your DT!

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back