QT troubles

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks to a few belated birthday gifts I am expecting 3 fish to arrive this week. Thing is I have 1 30 gallon qt tank. What worries me the most is two of the fish are tangs. One is a nickel size regal tang, the other is a small white tail bristle tooth. Obviously ich is the main concern.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks to a few belated birthday gifts I am expecting 3 fish to arrive this week. Thing is I have 1 30 gallon qt tank. What worries me the most is two of the fish are tangs. One is a nickel size regal tang, the other is a small white tail bristle tooth. Obviously ich is the main concern.

So your concern is the size of the tank? I think they will be fine for the duration of QT.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was worried it might be two small with 2 tangs.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your describing very small tangs. They will be fine. You have to watch the ammonia and keep the Nori cleaned up since it breaks down to quickly. QT is temporary.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regal is tiny. I hope he doesn't get lost even in the 30 [emoji6] . We only got one this small because my first ever salt fish was one of these tiny guys for a 55... what a BIG newbie mistake that was lol. I haven't seen the white tail in person but it was listed as small so I expect at most 2 or 3 in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regal is tiny. I hope he doesn't get lost even in the 30 [emoji6] . We only got one this small because my first ever salt fish was one of these tiny guys for a 55... what a BIG newbie mistake that was lol. I haven't seen the white tail in person but it was listed as small so I expect at most 2 or 3 in.

They can be very delicate when they are that small. Get it eating really well before introducing meds. Then make sure sure he's parasite free. Good luck with them. I'd love to see how they do when you get them.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I really lucked out with my first one no qt or anything. Grew too big though so I had to rehome it. I have fresh algae on hand to start with then going to move to nori and frozen. Really hoping there is no need to treat but I doubt I'll be that lucky lol.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I really lucked out with my first one no qt or anything. Grew too big though so I had to rehome it. I have fresh algae on hand to start with then going to move to nori and frozen. Really hoping there is no need to treat but I doubt I'll be that lucky lol.

I haven't met a tang yet that didn't need treatment before going into the display. They are ick magnets and that's not an understatement. Eh... it's better to be safe than sorry right?

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I may see about using the TTM if ick shows up. There is a spare 25 in storage i could use. I don't like using copper on such small fish.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I may see about using the TTM if ick shows up. There is a spare 25 in storage i could use. I don't like using copper on such small fish.

I agree with that. It's also alot faster and less harsh on the fish. You could treat with prazi also first dose on the first tank then the second on the third.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure every fish has their own PVC elbow for a hiding spot. If aggression becomes a problem, you can always use a tank divider. But if you think two tangs in a 30 gal QT is a problem, check out what a guy I know put in just an 80 gal QT ;):

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little regal is in. He seems so stressed.
96ce4274dc41485858b33535e6189984.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll settle in. It takes them a little bit to get used to the glass bottom thing. Males will often fight with their own reflection (pet theory of mine.)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its takes some time to get used to. My kole tang hates QT and is way more active and outgoing in the DT. Some fish just dont like it but as long as they are eating and disease free they should make it just fine.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't met a tang yet that didn't need treatment before going into the display. They are ick magnets and that's not an understatement. Eh... it's better to be safe than sorry right?

I've had several tangs that kicked ick on their own. The occasional hippo, naso, lots of yellow, purple, sailfins, a clown tang once, an Achilles tang for 12 months or so until it succumbed, and that's about it. I killed many many more Achilles and clown tangs before I found one that could fight off ich on their own I might add. But zebrasoma tangs, if healthy and in good water parameters and an established tank, can fight off parasites. The larger ones especially.

I'm not condoning this, it's unethical IMO but I did it relatively successfully for years.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure every fish has their own PVC elbow for a hiding spot. If aggression becomes a problem, you can always use a tank divider. But if you think two tangs in a 30 gal QT is a problem, check out what a guy I know put in just an 80 gal QT ;):

Yeah that looks like my qt did!

I had a skimmer on my qt and did 80% water changes daily until it cycled after a month and then did them every other day and then twice per week. Tangs are dirty it's a lot of work haha

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several tangs that kicked ick on their own. The occasional hippo, naso, lots of yellow, purple, sailfins, a clown tang once, an Achilles tang for 12 months or so until it succumbed, and that's about it. I killed many many more Achilles and clown tangs before I found one that could fight off ich on their own I might add. But zebrasoma tangs, if healthy and in good water parameters and an established tank, can fight off parasites. The larger ones especially.

I'm not condoning this, it's unethical IMO but I did it relatively successfully for years.

Yes... what i meant was that they almost always are carrying ick when you get them and so should be QT'd every time. As you know, they can live fine with it for a while, or even their life time but they can also spread it to the rest of the tank.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I am in the camp that it very difficult to maintain a totally ick free tank. As long as your fish are healthy and not stressed most will never show signs and their own immune system will keep the infection to a minimum.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the bad weather in the area. The other tang won't be shipped until next week. Better safe than delayed. This guy will have a few days to settle in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back