OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll settle in. It takes them a little bit to get used to the glass bottom thing. Males will often fight with their own reflection (pet theory of mine.)
He is doing much better today. Out swimming and not breath hard. He does have ick. Big surprise [emoji57]. Right now it is just two spots. I was thinking of just letting him settle in more and giving him garlic and selcon soaked food for the next week. The other tang should be in by then and I don't want to be in the middle of a treatment when I add him. He is likely going to need treatment as well. I was considering TTM this time and can get a 25 gal cleaned up this weekend. Is there any other care I should give this little guy until I am ready to start treatment or any tips while performing ttm?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I am in the camp that it very difficult to maintain a totally ick free tank. As long as your fish are healthy and not stressed most will never show signs and their own immune system will keep the infection to a minimum.
Not at all the case with most acanthurus tangs. Unfortunately I think people have to learn this the hard way..

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all the case with most acanthurus tangs. Unfortunately I think people have to learn this the hard way..
I think that captivity is just a very big stress for these guys. I also wonder what kind of role mixing different strains from all over the world has had on the evolution of this disease in captivity.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm with 3ford on this one. I guess we stay at the same camp. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder what kind of role mixing different strains from all over the world has had on the evolution of this disease in captivity.

Every new fish added (with ich) likely introduces a new strain of ich into your DT; especially true if the fish are collected from different parts of the world. Your existing fish may be able to handle one strain of ich... but two, three? Overlapping one another so the fish doesn't even catch a break in-between feeding trophonts? Maybe another fish gets added with gill flukes. I don't like those odds...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every new fish added (with ich) likely introduces a new strain of ich into your DT; especially true if the fish are collected from different parts of the world. Your existing fish may be able to handle one strain of ich... but two, three? Overlapping one another so the fish doesn't even catch a break in-between feeding trophonts? Maybe another fish gets added with gill flukes. I don't like those odds...

Hey! humblefish is staying at the camp with us!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! humblefish is staying at the camp with us!

The "healthy fish" camp. ;)

At the end of the day, it all comes down to this: Just because a fish can withstand a disease, doesn't mean they should have to if it can be helped. A healthy human can usually survive cold/flu viruses, infections, etc. But you still don't appreciate someone coming over to your house if you know they are sick. Well, your healthy fish probably don't appreciate a sick fish being dumped into their tank. That is what is risked every time someone forgoes QT.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my post was misunderstood. I qt all my new fish and even inverts once the tank is established. I don't believe that because it is hard you shouldn't try [emoji22]. I was saying that if you were to sample every drop of your aquarium water you would most likely find you missed/accidentally got contaminated with a less virulent strain somewhere down the line. Unless you have certain fish like ford pointed out you would have no idea. Yes it is possible to avoid but you need rigorous qt protocols and treatment procedures on EVERYTHING. Snails, hermits and corals can introduce it into a tank. I know people who follow this but the majority don't and everyone makes mistakes. So I am not advocating not trying I just ment I take people claiming their dt is completely ich free with a grain of salt.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my post was misunderstood. I qt all my new fish and even inverts once the tank is established. I don't believe that because it is hard you shouldn't try [emoji22]. I was saying that if you were to sample every drop of your aquarium water you would most likely find you missed/accidentally got contaminated with a less virulent strain somewhere down the line. Unless you have certain fish like ford pointed out you would have no idea. Yes it is possible to avoid but you need rigorous qt protocols and treatment procedures on EVERYTHING. Snails, hermits and corals can introduce it into a tank. I know people who follow this but the majority don't and everyone makes mistakes. So I am not advocating not trying I just ment I take people claiming their dt is completely ich free with a grain of salt.

I see what your say'n and your probably right. I just dont like it, but it's true. :)

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like my babies being hurt or sick with anything either. I just lost my new pipefish and I'm heartbroken. More so because I don't know why he died. He was just a baby and was up swimming and eating last night.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like my babies being hurt or sick with anything either. I just lost my new pipefish and I'm heartbroken. More so because I don't know why he died. He was just a baby and was up swimming and eating last night.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hate when that happens.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back