~~~QT WALL~~~

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am in the process of building my new fish room. Where I will have 2 650 lagoon style tanks.
I want to use one wall and build a qt section for fish.
My original thought was using 4- 40 breeders and 12-20 longs. All on one rack I build against the wall.
Anyone have anything similar or any suggestions on how this can be done using as little space as possible?
Don

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could give advice I built my fish room and then found out diseases can be spread within 10 ft. Build it into a corner or something with a wall blocking from your display .

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could give advice I built my fish room and then found out diseases can be spread within 10 ft. Build it into a corner or something with a wall blocking from your display .

All qt tanks will be lidded to help in that

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All qt tanks will be lidded to help in that

Lids may cut down on it, but aerosol transmission can still be an issue for you. Not to mention that aerosol transmission would definately be a problem between the QTs if they will all be in a rack together. I would add that if you are going to be linking all those QT's into one or two systems then if anybody gets sick, they all have to be treated for it since they will all be exposed to it. Just food for thought. It's handy to be able to cut off each tank from the rest and run them with a HOB filter for things like antibiotics for some fish but not others.

Pretty much, you would be running large batches of fish through QT together and treating them all at the same time. That would eliminate the worry of aerosol transmission between QT's but not between the qt and the dt.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lids may cut down on it, but aerosol transmission can still be an issue for you. Not to mention that aerosol transmission would definately be a problem between the QTs if they will all be in a rack together. I would add that if you are going to be linking all those QT's into one or two systems then if anybody gets sick, they all have to be treated for it since they will all be exposed to it. Just food for thought. It's handy to be able to cut off each tank from the rest and run them with a HOB filter for things like antibiotics for some fish but not others.

Pretty much, you would be running large batches of fish through QT together and treating them all at the same time. That would eliminate the worry of aerosol transmission between QT's but not between the qt and the dt.

I plan on every tank having it's own filtration. Lid the tanks. Lid the DT and all other tanks. That's really the best I can do with the space I have. I am hoping someone who has a fish room will chime in with design options

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on every tank having it's own filtration. Lid the tanks. Lid the DT and all other tanks. That's really the best I can do with the space I have. I am hoping someone who has a fish room will chime in with design options

I actually do have a fish room. I hang a thick sheet of plastic from the ceiling to the floor and wall to wall to separate my display from my QT when it's set up and running.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do have a fish room. I hang a thick sheet of plastic from the ceiling to the floor and wall to wall to separate my display from my QT when it's set up and running.

Good idea. I could do a zip wall around the qt section.
Most of the fish will go into my 2 tanks in the house. The fish room is not in the house but a pool house turned into a fish room. But I will be putting in the lagoons out there and there will be fish added to the lagoons. Once they all have been qt.
I am also looking for a good design for holding 4-40 breeders and either 12-15 gal or 12-20 longs.
Struggling on a good build design space saver to hold all that

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with a lid is it really cuts down on gas exchange, thus reducing available oxygen in the water. Which is really important to have in abundance when using medications - as they typically deplete O2.

When QTing fish, I like to have a wide open top with lots of turbulence going at the surface:

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with a lid is it really cuts down on gas exchange, thus reducing available oxygen in the water. Which is really important to have in abundance when using medications - as they typically deplete O2.

When QTing fish, I like to have a wide open top with lots of turbulence going at the surface:

Your the man, but I am going to invest in very large air pumps to make sure there is plenty of oxygen pumped in each tank. And will have turbulence at the lowered water level. But if the zip wall will work I may not need lids but I will be running multiple meds in different tanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back