QT....what else do I need?

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to set up my QT as I learned the hard way and Velvet wiped out my DT. I picked up a 28g Nano Cube with stand, pumps, skimmer, heater, and wave makers for $120.

My list of things to buy is:
Seachem Ammonia alert badge
Seachem Prime (help control ammonia) - I don't want to have to do water changes every 2-3 days if possible
Seachem Metroplex and Focus
Copper Power
Dr. Tims Nitrifying Bacteria (quick cycle)
Hanna Checker for High Range Copper
Bio media for nano cube

Am I missing anything else?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to set up my QT as I learned the hard way and Velvet wiped out my DT. I picked up a 28g Nano Cube with stand, pumps, skimmer, heater, and wave makers for $120.

My list of things to buy is:
Seachem Ammonia alert badge
Seachem Prime (help control ammonia) - I don't want to have to do water changes every 2-3 days if possible
Seachem Metroplex and Focus
Copper Power
Dr. Tims Nitrifying Bacteria (quick cycle)
Hanna Checker for High Range Copper
Bio media for nano cube

Am I missing anything else?

I have an air stone. If you don’t use it in the QT you would if you freshwater dip. Regardless they are good to have at least one in hand imo.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, some PVC and other hiding spots.

the only thing to note is the bio media you listed; just make sure you lookup whatever you’re using to check whether or not it will absorb/leach copper.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an air stone. If you don’t use it in the QT you would if you freshwater dip. Regardless they are good to have at least one in hand imo.
That’s a good idea. I’ll have to pick one up.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, some PVC and other hiding spots.

the only thing to note is the bio media you listed; just make sure you lookup whatever you’re using to check whether or not it will absorb/leach copper.
That’s another thing I was wondering. I won’t use carbon or the skimmer during the medication stage. I was thinking a sponge and maybe bioballs or the ceramic rings

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper product are you using? If cupramine then Prime cannot be used as it is ionic copper. It has been tested and found that chelated copper products like Copper Power are safe to use with Prime. @Humblefish delivered this news not long ago.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll also want a treatment for flukes. PraziPro is what I use. I run 2 doses of it after the 30 day copper treatment. Do a large water change to remove most all of the copper then dose PraziPro. 5 to 7 days later dose the second time.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper product are you using? If cupramine then Prime cannot be used as it is ionic copper. It has been tested and found that chelated copper products like Copper Power are safe to use with Prime. @Humblefish delivered this news not long ago.
Copper Power is what I plan to use. I think I read Humblefish article and that’s why I chose it.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll also want a treatment for flukes. PraziPro is what I use. I run 2 doses of it after the 30 day copper treatment. Do a large water change to remove most all of the copper then dose PraziPro. 5 to 7 days later dose the second time.
Sounds like a great idea. Thank you. When you say large water change, like 50%?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chelated copper products like Copper Power are safe to use with Prime. @Humblefish delivered this news not long ago.

Oooh. I missed that memo! I'll have to search for that post!

Phatduckk said: Obviously, some PVC and other hiding spots.

I believe it was Humblefish who also tested copper absorption rates using different kinds of media. I was excited to find out the media I use in all my tanks (Marinepure blocks in the big tanks and balls in the smaller tanks) was not found to absorb or hold copper and it could be cleaned from the media after the treatment is over so the media is not ruined for use in non sick tanks. :) There were other medias that fit the bill too, but you'd have to search for the discussion or ask @Humblefish. I don't remember the other findings as they didn't apply to my tanks.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh. I missed that memo! I'll have to search for that post!

Phatduckk said: Obviously, some PVC and other hiding spots.

I believe it was Humblefish who also tested copper absorption rates using different kinds of media. I was excited to find out the media I use in all my tanks (Marinepure blocks in the big tanks and balls in the smaller tanks) was not found to absorb or hold copper and it could be cleaned from the media after the treatment is over so the media is not ruined for use in non sick tanks. :) There were other medias that fit the bill too, but you'd have to search for the discussion or ask @Humblefish. I don't remember the other findings as they didn't apply to my tanks.

woah. Ok I missed that. So marine pure is ok with copper power? I’d love to read up on that if you have a link! Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Big G also reported that Fluval bio products did not absorb copper in that thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seachem-matrix-for-qt-use.363132/#post-4497111

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and bought the Hanna copper refill pack of 25 and am glad I did.
Also I used api general cure instead of prazipro as it has praziquantel + metro. Need to aerate when using as it will reduce o2 in water.
API General Cure: Active Ingredients: 500 mg Metronidazole and 150 mg Praziquantel per teaspoon. Active Ingredients: 500 mg Metronidazole and 150 mg Praziquantel per teaspoon. Directions for Use: For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration.

Last edited:

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Big G also reported that Fluval bio products did not absorb copper in that thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seachem-matrix-for-qt-use.363132/#post-4497111

Ive had my dudes in QT and have a bunch of marine pure in there. It’s all been there since September 20. I believe the tank is cycled now (hob with sponge, power head & marine pure). I seeded with bio Spira before I began Qt. Ammonia has been essentially zero for the entire time.

Now I’m about to do 14 days of copper & want to know whether I should remove the marine pure. Bio load is small as the QT contains 1” clowns & I clean a lot after each feeding.

Any recommendations? Should I add matrix and ditch the marine pure? I have copper power and Hanna checker on hand and will begin copper once my confidence rises that I can control ammonia.

image.jpg

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Pure is ceramic, correct? Ceramic is non-reactive, so my guess would be that it would not absorb much copper.

thanks. I’ll leave it in while I ramp up and adjust if my readings go sideways.

is 14 days then to DT ok if they’re been under observation for 3 weeks and GC soaked food for the last 14 days? Or should I go the entire 30?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is 14 days then to DT ok if they’re been under observation for 3 weeks and GC soaked food for the last 14 days? Or should I go the entire 30?

Should be OK, although I prefer to use an observation tank for 2 weeks to serve as a buffer between QT & DT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back