Qting a sixline wrasse ?

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I will be picking up my first sixline wrasse or wrasse in general. I setup a 10g qt , with a bubble media filter. It has cycled media from my display. When I have qt in the past I have always medicated for the big 3 and used general cure. Em erythomycin and ick x. I was reading wrasse are very sensative to meds and copper especially.

So I was planning to try the general cure, erythomycin and ick x and keep a eye on it. Is there any other recommendation you all would recommendnas far as pre treating? Or should I not pretreat at all except for general cure?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I will be picking up my first sixline wrasse or wrasse in general. I setup a 10g qt , with a bubble media filter. It has cycled media from my display. When I have qt in the past I have always medicated for the big 3 and used general cure. Em erythomycin and ick x. I was reading wrasse are very sensative to meds and copper especially.

So I was planning to try the general cure, erythomycin and ick x and keep a eye on it. Is there any other recommendation you all would recommendnas far as pre treating? Or should I not pretreat at all except for general cure?
Few thoughts, erythromycin unless there is an active bacterial infection, i would not dose. It can be very rough on O2 and mixd general cure could make that worse.
Second, ich-x is going to kill ich or velvet. And combining malachite green with the other meds you have is going to place a lot of stress on a fish.

When i have qt’d wrasses i have used ttm, but @HotRocks uses copper on many wrasse species.
I also used metroplex fed in food and dosed to the water. Prazipro was dosed day 1 and seven.
Antibiotics i kept on hand
kanaplex
Furan-2
Fishcin
And fish flex
Only used if saw or suspected an infection

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few thoughts, erythromycin unless there is an active bacterial infection, i would not dose. It can be very rough on O2 and mixd general cure could make that worse.
Second, ich-x is going to kill ich or velvet. And combining malachite green with the other meds you have is going to place a lot of stress on a fish.

When i have qt’d wrasses i have used ttm, but @HotRocks uses copper on many wrasse species.
I also used metroplex fed in food and dosed to the water. Prazipro was dosed day 1 and seven.
Antibiotics i kept on hand
kanaplex
Furan-2
Fishcin
And fish flex
Only used if saw or suspected an infection

Thank you for your input. I always thought that prazipro and metroplex served the same purpose? Or do each have there own purpose. On is external one is internal is my assumption.

Was definetly thinking of taking a more observation approach this time around and only dose meds if I see signs of illness and not stress the fish.have not had to qt a fish in a few years and never had the need to run copper so thats all new to me.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. I always thought that prazipro and metroplex served the same purpose? Or do each have there own purpose. On is external one is internal is my assumption.

Was definetly thinking of taking a more observation approach this time around and only dose meds if I see signs of illness and not stress the fish.have not had to qt a fish in a few years and never had the need to run copper so thats all new to me.
Gc contains both metro and praziquantel. They both treat similar diseases, metro treats a few more, and some parasites maybe immune to one or the other. I use separately as a personal preference as opposed to general cure. Just fits my dosing calendar better with ttm if i am going that route with the fish in question.
Copper is very useful whether you decide to treat with it first or after disease is spotted. With the hana checker, a lot of dosage uncertainty is taken away along with the dangers of over dosing. Personally the health effects of malachite green(main ingredient in ich-x) on fish and humans stops me from using at all. And antibiotic overuse, could lead to a situation where if your fish does get an infection later, the antibiotics you have on hand could be infective due to acquired immunity.

In any event six-lines are very resilient fish, to both diseases and treatments. Provide surface agitation, keep ammonia controlled, if they are eating they will make it 99% of the time through qt. And most six-lines will eat day one or two as opposed to some wrasses.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gc contains both metro and praziquantel. They both treat similar diseases, metro treats a few more, and some parasites maybe immune to one or the other. I use separately as a personal preference as opposed to general cure. Just fits my dosing calendar better with ttm if i am going that route with the fish in question.
Copper is very useful whether you decide to treat with it first or after disease is spotted. With the hana checker, a lot of dosage uncertainty is taken away along with the dangers of over dosing. Personally the health effects of malachite green(main ingredient in ich-x) on fish and humans stops me from using at all. And antibiotic overuse, could lead to a situation where if your fish does get an infection later, the antibiotics you have on hand could be infective due to acquired immunity.

In any event six-lines are very resilient fish, to both diseases and treatments. Provide surface agitation, keep ammonia controlled, if they are eating they will make it 99% of the time through qt. And most six-lines will eat day one or two as opposed to some wrasses.

Do you think malachite green has higher concentrations of issues in salt water over fresh? Definetly need to get a copper hanna checker if I ever need to dose copper

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think malachite green has higher concentrations of issues in salt water over fresh? Definetly need to get a copper hanna checker if I ever need to dose copper
I never found it needed in freshwater. Fw ich is very sustainable to osmotic stress a little bit of aquarium salt, with most species was enough. The few times i dealt with fw velvet was with Aquacultured fish from Taiwan. They were so beat up when i got them they would never eat. Resorted to only buying F1 on certain fish. Never saw fw velvet again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back