QTing McCoskers Wrasse and Yellow Watchman Goby together

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'd like to purchase a small (1.5 inch) Yellow Watchman and McCoskers Flsaher Wrass from my LFS, but I need to check my QT strategy.

I have Copper Power, Prazipro and Reef Medic on hand.

I've read that Wrasse in particular are sensitive to meds.

I had planned to do a standard 30 treatment of 3 rounds of Prazipro, 9 days apart and 2.5ppm Copper Power. 25% Water changes with pre-coppered water before each Prazi dose.

Will that be safe?

Will be be OK to QT both these fish together?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I'd like to purchase a small (1.5 inch) Yellow Watchman and McCoskers Flsaher Wrass from my LFS, but I need to check my QT strategy.

I have Copper Power, Prazipro and Reef Medic on hand.

I've read that Wrasse in particular are sensitive to meds.

I had planned to do a standard 30 treatment of 3 rounds of Prazipro, 9 days apart and 2.5ppm Copper Power. 25% Water changes with pre-coppered water before each Prazi dose.

Will that be safe?

Will be be OK to QT both these fish together?

Thanks
My choice is ruby rally pro but prazi will work
Increase aeration as prazi decreases oxygen and appetite slightly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have a powerful bubbler in my QT.

And is 2.5ppm copper power safe for the Wrasse?
Copper Power runs about 2.1 ppm at the dose listed on the bottle. Some people up that to 2.5 The wrasse should be fine wiht that amount. Don't take to long getting to a full dose - you need to reach that in 24 hours, else the fish will not be protected. Many time, I hear of people taking 4 days or more to reach the copper dose, only to report "my fish died of copper poisoning on day 3, they were breathing fast and died", when actually, that was an uncontrolled velvet infection.

Medic is a wild card here - I wouldn't dose it with the other two meds. It seems to be a peroxide salt, but they don't advertise the ingredients. Adding an oxidizer like that with other medications could produce unexpected results.

Remember - this protocol only controls Cryptocaryon (ich), Velvet and flukes. While those are the primary reasons people lose new fish to disease, they are not the only reasons. Be sure to maintain good water quality.

Jay

OP
OP
mikeytrw

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I just went to LFS to pick up the fish but there was a very diseased dying clownfish in the same tank so I passed. Poor thing. It's a chain store that mainly sells fw fish so marines are a sort of an afterthought, also I noticed the tanks were full of aiptasia so also a warning signal. A shame because they do have some really nice fish, just not cared for to the same standard as my usual LFS.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I just went to LFS to pick up the fish but there was a very diseased dying clownfish in the same tank so I passed. Poor thing. It's a chain store that mainly sells fw fish so marines are a sort of an afterthought, also I noticed the tanks were full of aiptasia so also a warning signal. A shame because they do have some really nice fish, just not cared for to the same standard as my usual LFS.

I always tell folks - if you go to buy a fish and something doesn't seem right, take a pass on it - there are always plenty more fish in the sea (grin).

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back