QTing sensitive nano fish (possum wrasse, yasha goby) - Help PLZ

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately I received a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse from a fish store a month ago and it is just now showing signs of spots (looks to be velvet) today although eating fine and no flashing. I also lost my clown goby mysteriously a few days ago and suspect it could have been from this. I was recommended by many not to QT this particular type of wrasse as it would likely lead to its demise, but I am learning that was a mistake or more so I will have to set up a relatively more extravagant QT for this little one. I am not exactly sure how I should go about this because I have a Yasha goby and Possum wrasse in the current tank. They are both small, very sensitive, and one of the two eats organisms off the rocks all day. It will be very difficult to get both out likely leading to the entire tank being stripped. I am also slightly nervous getting these two comfortable in a QT and want to make sure the setup is correct.

Has anyone successfully QT'd a possum wrasse or Yasha goby? What was the setup like? I have a mixed reef with many inverts and can not risk dosing the DT. Any advice on where to go from here?

Feeling down on myself :-/

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a few good photos of the Possum Wrasse? Maybe I’m wrong, but if it came to you from the LFS, a month seems a bit long in your tank to just be seeing Marine Velvet now...

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a few good photos of the Possum Wrasse? Maybe I’m wrong, but if it came to you from the LFS, a month seems a bit long in your tank to just be seeing Marine Velvet now...
Hmmm it could be ich than! I have never had a fish have either so I am new this. MAYBE IT IS SAND! I will shoot for some photos when I can. The possum I got has been very lively after the first few days of hiding so I would definitely notice if spots were on it like this before. I give my tank 2-3 hours almost every day.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever is on the possum is not stopping it from loving the camera! Hopefully this lively energy and big appetite is a good sign. I noticed on the video I took that the white dots seem to almost be translucent.. Maybe it really is sand?? Thing is it has been like this since morning.. Well now that I am thinking about it the Possum den is rather close to the pistol shrimp/goby burrow.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d see what other people think before you start treating. I “might” be seeing some faint white patches, but I’m not seeing Ich or Velvet— still photos could help as well.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d see what other people think before you start treating. I “might” be seeing some faint white patches, but I’m not seeing Ich or Velvet— still photos could help as well.
Yes hopefully some more people will chime in! Did you hit HD in the video? You should be able to see a bunch of white specks all over the face in the later half of the video.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hopefully some more people will chime in! Did you hit HD in the video? You should be able to see a bunch of white specks all over the face in the later half of the video.
I couldn't get the HD to play, but couldn't see any spots at 720p. For me, blue lights really obscure spots on fish, can you get video or stills taken under white light?
I doubt it is velvet, you often see no spots with that disease, only rapid breathing. It is probably sand grains or perhaps ich.

Jay

CBGstylee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a possum wrasse today. Hes temp acclimating now before he goes into the QT tank. I know some wrasses and angels are sensitive. Is he able to go through a copper power treatment or is it only TTM for these guys? Anyone have experience with these?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get the HD to play, but couldn't see any spots at 720p. For me, blue lights really obscure spots on fish, can you get video or stills taken under white light?
I doubt it is velvet, you often see no spots with that disease, only rapid breathing. It is probably sand grains or perhaps ich.

Jay
Yes I will try to get a better photo and video tomorrow.

I just picked up a possum wrasse today. Hes temp acclimating now before he goes into the QT tank. I know some wrasses and angels are sensitive. Is he able to go through a copper power treatment or is it only TTM for these guys? Anyone have experience with these?
Just a pre-warning they do not do well in QT and many people recommended me not to QT as it leads to their demise. Largely because they eat organisms on the rocks and such. This is why I am at a bit of a loss on how to approach the QT. I am thinking I should let it cycle with lots of liverock that I will just have to waste, and maybe dose with a lot of pods to try to encourage a more natural environment. IDK..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back