Quality ds18b20 temp sensors and PH probes?

OxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longtime lurker and back in the hobby-I have a few different tanks and quite a few pi’s around and want to use them to monitor/log and potentially control my tanks. Knowing lots of issues exist with the cheap sensors whats the best waterproof sensor for temp monitoring? Adafruit or the sparkfun (have seen both mentioned)? The same applies for PH-have been burned in the past trying to save a few bucks.

Thanks and apologies if this is covered just fun trying to find a good BOM for quality resources that are key to tank parameters.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested what would be wrong with the cheap sensors? They are all cheap the difference seems to be the brand on it.

Is it more waterproof?
Is it faster or slower?
Is it less punctual?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheap ones work great. Bought 5 off Amazon for 10€, 4 worked, one wasn't properly glued into the steel cap. But I resleeved them into plastic+silicone anyway.

No other problems, work like a charm.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a cheap one for over a year with no problems. I did seal around the cord and heat shrink with silicone.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheap ones work great. Bought 5 off Amazon for 10€, 4 worked, one wasn't properly glued into the steel cap. But I resleeved them into plastic+silicone anyway.

No other problems, work like a charm.
Mine were £0.95ea for one wit 2m cable on AliExpress

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my cheap ones have started to give problems eventually. I am currently using ones from Droking. Much better quality - silicone cable and double crimping. No issues with them so far. I use them submerged. I covered the steel tips with heatshrink and hot glue just to be safe. I use a cheap one for air temp measurement which I replaced at the same time as I installed these and it has already gone faulty.
2 PCS/LOT DS18B20 High Temp Sensor 3 meters Waterproof Thermometer Sensor -55 ~125 Celsius Degree Thermometer Probe (droking.com)

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my cheap ones have started to give problems eventually. I am currently using ones from Droking. Much better quality - silicone cable and double crimping. No issues with them so far. I use them submerged. I covered the steel tips with heatshrink and hot glue just to be safe. I use a cheap one for air temp measurement which I replaced at the same time as I installed these and it has already gone faulty.
2 PCS/LOT DS18B20 High Temp Sensor 3 meters Waterproof Thermometer Sensor -55 ~125 Celsius Degree Thermometer Probe (droking.com)
Just had a look and I like the idea of silicon coated cables but as per the reviews the measurements are in the same range of the ones I have from Ali. They all need calibration and I think it is the characteristic of the chip to be around .25 degrees apart.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After fighting issues with temp sensors for about 9 months I was pointed toward the Spark Fun epoxy coated sensors. I can honestly say I will never barging shop for ds18b20 probes again. They are top of the line and won't rust on you.

OP
OP
O

OxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canakit, SparkFun are pretty good for ds18b20. For ph sensors, BRS double junction is best, BRS singl junction, Atlas scientific, American Marine Pinpoint are next best
Thanks! Sorry for the late response (toddler and IT work).

Kurtzisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought 5 sensors from Amazon, two are broken, one is in my refugium and is ok, the second one is measuring the temperature of the sump air, the third one in main tank start to rusty after few months....

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After fighting issues with temp sensors for about 9 months I was pointed toward the Spark Fun epoxy coated sensors. I can honestly say I will never barging shop for ds18b20 probes again. They are top of the line and won't rust on you.
Aha, this is perfect. I am going to buy some of these, I keep having problem every few days. Getting the error until i unplug the sensors and plug them back in

Temperature sensor failure. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0301a279e986/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back