Quarantine 40-50 fish from existing 500 gallon reef

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yeah it was a busy day! I came within roughly a millimeter of netting the wrasse a bit ago, which means I'll have zero change of ever getting close to it with a net again. Gonna make a bottle trap like humble suggested and give that a whirl.

I've already had a casualty in the QT, my Diamond Goby did a suicide dive through the egg crate, and it's been less than 24 hours, so I'm going to have to find something else. I have 3 of the BulkReefSupply DIY net tops for the tank, so I think I'm going to try to make a frame that will hold 1 or 2 of those, and that's solid other than the cutouts. Maybe some plywood wrapped in a tarp, or something really ghetto like that..it will keep me busy in between fishing sessions in the tank!
I zip tie the brs netting to the bottom of eggcrate for my QT

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yeah it was a busy day! I came within roughly a millimeter of netting the wrasse a bit ago, which means I'll have zero change of ever getting close to it with a net again. Gonna make a bottle trap like humble suggested and give that a whirl.

I've already had a casualty in the QT, my Diamond Goby did a suicide dive through the egg crate, and it's been less than 24 hours, so I'm going to have to find something else. I have 3 of the BulkReefSupply DIY net tops for the tank, so I think I'm going to try to make a frame that will hold 1 or 2 of those, and that's solid other than the cutouts. Maybe some plywood wrapped in a tarp, or something really ghetto like that..it will keep me busy in between fishing sessions in the tank!

You could always hit up homedepot or lowes and make a window screen for a bit cheaper. You don't need it to not block out light or anything and it will allow for gas exchange. Might compare pricing, but I think it's a bit cheaper

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always hit up homedepot or lowes and make a window screen for a bit cheaper. You don't need it to not block out light or anything and it will allow for gas exchange. Might compare pricing, but I think it's a bit cheaper

I was thinking tarp the exposed wood with some netting cutouts so the wood wouldn't fall apart from salt exposure, but egg crate and netting is so much easier

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking tarp the exposed wood with some netting cutouts so the wood wouldn't fall apart from salt exposure, but egg crate and netting is so much easier

me too. I didn't think of that either! And I've even done that at the store! Man oh man it's been a long day :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1217160319.jpg 1217160316~2.jpg Forgot to post this today, found this dude last night...a flat worm about an inch long, anyone know what it is?

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, should have taken 5 seconds to Google BEFORE posting.. It's a polyclad flatworm, sounds like another unwelcome guest

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job! I'm not sure about that flatworm and if it's bad.... but we can ask @Lionfish Lair as I bet she would know!

OP
OP
Jeffdstafford

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2016-12-18%2011.14.09.jpg

Hey was it difficult to make that cut out in the screen? Do the elbows/frame need a lit of modifications to work in reverse?

Not difficult at all, just had to use the Dremel to file down a couple parts on the elbows to use them in reverse, otherwise super easy

Get it oooooooooout!

Well luckily it was just floating in the tank and I grabbed it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back