Quarantine and Clean Up Crew

kingPumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my local fish store and bought a yellow watchman goby for my 40 gallon breeder. I don't have a quarantine tank, is that bad? Or can I just acclimate him and put him in? Also I bought a Trocus snail and it had some green moss/sponge stuff on it. Is that going to cause issues in my tank?

Last questions: Is it bad to mix clean up crew? I have some hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, a sea urchin, 2 conch snails, 1 turbo snail, a few nassarius snails and a few Troucs snails. Is it bad to have too many different kinds?

Let me know!
Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people like to quarantine and I'd say it's probably best that you do with all of your fish (and most of your clean up crew).

As for the snail just scrub the green stuff off.

The only issue I see with your crew is the hermit crabs. What kind are they? They might go after your snails for their shells

OP
OP
K

kingPumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 or 3 small hermit crabs. I believe they are blue legged hermit crabs. I have plenty of shells for them to move to. I have seen my skunk cleaner shrimp (he is really big) eat the snails when they fall over and can't get over. It is really annoying and I have thought about getting rid of him for that reason but I just like the idea of a skunk cleaner shrimp in my tank but I don't know how much algea eating her really does. I don't know if he does enough work to justify him.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the shrimp is eating live snails? Or is he cleaning up dead ones? Blue legs are some of the safer hermits but I still won't keep them since they can be caught killing snails.

OP
OP
K

kingPumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it was dead or alive. I watched, in amazement as it was kinda cool to see, the skunk shrimp struggle to pull a whole snail out of its shell and eat it. Due to the struggle I would say the snail was alive.

Back