Quarantine and General Cure question

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am working on a new tank and am new to saltwater fish. I started a tank for quarantine and put in the General Cure yesterday. However, today, the nitrate was a bit higher than I want even though the ammonia alert badge was good. I did a 50% exchange to get it down, but my question is do I need to add in a 50% dose of GC to finish out the 5 days or do I leave it and wait until day 5. This is a prevention step at this point. I have a clownfish and a dottyback that have a little bit of a fin missing, but it looks like a bite as they were in a heavily stocked tank at the LFS. I am watching to make sure it isn't tailrot. No flukes during freshwater bath or stringy poop.

Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions say
For each 10 gallons of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

I would repeat the 1st dose after 48 hours. Then dose 1 more time 48 hours later.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am working on a new tank and am new to saltwater fish. I started a tank for quarantine and put in the General Cure yesterday. However, today, the nitrate was a bit higher than I want even though the ammonia alert badge was good. I did a 50% exchange to get it down, but my question is do I need to add in a 50% dose of GC to finish out the 5 days or do I leave it and wait until day 5. This is a prevention step at this point. I have a clownfish and a dottyback that have a little bit of a fin missing, but it looks like a bite as they were in a heavily stocked tank at the LFS. I am watching to make sure it isn't tailrot. No flukes during freshwater bath or stringy poop.

Thanks
To get back to a full dose, you’re right, you’ll need to redose the GC in the same ratio as the water you exchanged.

That said, I typically treat new fish with copper and follow that with prazi (or in your case, the GC). The rationale is that copper is a good preventative for the diseases that can kill your fish the quickest; velvet, brooklynella and ich. Prazi or GC is for issues that don’t kill as quickly; mostly worm issues.

Jay

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get back to a full dose, you’re right, you’ll need to redose the GC in the same ratio as the water you exchanged.

That said, I typically treat new fish with copper and follow that with prazi (or in your case, the GC). The rationale is that copper is a good preventative for the diseases that can kill your fish the quickest; velvet, brooklynella and ich. Prazi or GC is for issues that don’t kill as quickly; mostly worm issues.

Jay
Thanks. I did them in reverse. The first fish I did with Prazipro and then copper. This time, I switched to GC because I thought it had a little broader spectrum and then will switch to copper power.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back