Quarantine / Coral In Refugium / Lights Off New Set Up Question

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently cycled my Waterbox 105.4 tank. I am going from a Biocube 32 to this new Aquarium. After the cycle finished I moved over two clowns. I am going to keep the lights off another couple months in the new display and dose vibrant 2-3 weeks prior to turning on the lights. My issue is I want to quarantine all the new fish and use my BIOCUBE to do it but I have a nice hammer coral, some zoas, and some soft corals I need to move somewhere. The new tank does have refugium I just started up with the Tunze eco regugium light running 24/7. My levels right now are zero Ammonia, zero nitrites, and 10 ppm nitrates. My question is can I stick these corals in the refugium so I can remove everything from the BIOCUBE and use it as a quarantine tank while I am adding fish to the WB for the next few months while the lights are off or should I just keep those two clowns in there, wait the two months, turn on the lights, wait for Coraline, and then transfer everything over? I was also debating moving the rock over without the corals of course since the lights will be off into my WB to help with the bacteria growth then remove them when I turned the lights on since they are not part of the new aquascape. The WB has been set up with dryrock.

IMG_6572.JPG

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of moving fish (6 Fish) over from my 30 gallon to my new 190 gallon. I left the Corals in the 30 gallon until the tank has matured I plan to leave the lights off for a month or 2, not sure if the Refugium light would be enough for the the Corals. I would leave the Corals in the Biocube and wait until you can safely transfer over than turn into a QT. I plan to turn my 30 Gallon into a QT as well, but will wait to get the new tank ready for my corals to transfer over.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of moving fish (6 Fish) over from my 30 gallon to my new 190 gallon. I left the Corals in the 30 gallon until the tank has matured I plan to leave the lights off for a month or 2, not sure if the Refugium light would be enough for the the Corals. I would leave the Corals in the Biocube and wait until you can safely transfer over than turn into a QT. I plan to turn my 30 Gallon into a QT as well, but will wait to get the new tank ready for my corals to transfer over

I am in the same boat but I want to add more fish while waiting to turn lights and I also want to QT them in my BIOCUBE so I need a place for my corals... I would buy QT fish but its tough to find what you want online or in any LFS around here in Miami.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear from anyone who has recently set up a tank with dry rock in terms of how long before they turned on the lights, any tips to speed up being able to do this, algae issues, etc.? Or should I just shut up and wait 4 months per many recommendations I have seen online to turn on the lights....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back