Quarantine cycle

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to move my fish, corals and rock to my new 130 gallon tank. I plan on using my old 32 gallon tank as the quarantine tank. Since I am removing all the rock and sand from my 32 gallon tank, would I need to start the tank cycle over again with the qt tank? I plan on adding 10-15 gallons of the old water back to the tank but I realize the bacteria lives on the rocks and sand more so than the water. Do I need to dose ammonia and starter bacteria and wait for it to go through the cycle again?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to move my fish, corals and rock to my new 130 gallon tank. I plan on using my old 32 gallon tank as the quarantine tank. Since I am removing all the rock and sand from my 32 gallon tank, would I need to start the tank cycle over again with the qt tank? I plan on adding 10-15 gallons of the old water back to the tank but I realize the bacteria lives on the rocks and sand more so than the water. Do I need to dose ammonia and starter bacteria and wait for it to go through the cycle again?
Well question is, where are you planning for nitrifiers to live in in the QT?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on using the 32g for a hospital tank also you cannot have sand or rock in it.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will need to cycle it. Are you in need of the QT tank immediately? You can throw some bioballs or a sponge filter into your sump to populate it with bateria then transfer it into your QT tank a few days before you plan on adding fish to the QT tank.

If you are going to keep the QT tank up permanently just throw in some plastic bioballs and some bateria, and a pinch of food to get it rolling. Just make sure you test to make sure the cycle has completed before adding fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small container of sand in the quarantine tank shouldn't be too much of a problem, although some of my copper is absorbed each day into it (I'm dosing prophylatically). It's true that using a HOB and filter media from an established tank is wiser, though.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some filter media in the back of the existing tank that has been there for several months. I plan on keeping that in the tank to seed it. I guess I am wondering if I also need to add the ammonia in after I put the new water in. I may keep a small container of the sand for wrasses.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some filter media in the back of the existing tank that has been there for several months. I plan on keeping that in the tank to seed it. I guess I am wondering if I also need to add the ammonia in after I put the new water in. I may keep a small container of the sand for wrasses.
If you have ammonia on hand, then sure, absolutely would be great to dose ammonia into the QT and see how your nitrifiers can handle it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back