Quarantine for 1 month with only UV sterilizer?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like how copper treats the free swimming stage of ich, what would happen if someone were to implement an extra large UV system in as minimum sized tank for 1 month? You won’t need to use any medications that may possibly weaken immune system, and you can have the tank cycled with the ceramic rings in a HOB filter. Normally copper diminishes nitrifying bacteria, but not a UV system. We can even quarantine corals and inverts with this method for one month instead of 76 days.

Am I making sense?

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend the humble.fish website for effective and detailed quarantine options. The UV will never get rid of ich as it will only affect the free swimming stage of the parasites. For treatment in a display tank you can use CP, but you still have to remove inverts

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that not all water will necessarily make it through the UV due to dead spots in the tank, unlike copper which will be evenly distributed. So, while the concept is good, the likelihood of success is low. It does help keep the theront count low in an infected tank, but if a fish's immune system is weakened, it will be a prime candidate for infection.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back