Quarantine Help

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish have been in quarantine for about 6wks. Noticed my hippo get some stress spots. So i did a big water change and started prazi yesterday. I noticed my vlamingi breathing heavy. Has anyone noticed fish breathing heavy with prazi? My others in tank are fine but hes my fav. Should i start cupramine? And forgo the prazi for now?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish have been in quarantine for about 6wks. Noticed my hippo get some stress spots. So i did a big water change and started prazi yesterday. I noticed my vlamingi breathing heavy. Has anyone noticed fish breathing heavy with prazi? My others in tank are fine but hes my fav. Should i start cupramine? And forgo the prazi for now?
How do you have your QT set up? You may just need more air exchange in your system.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi causes flukes to spasm, so can cause the fish some discomfort in the process if their gills are heavily infested.

Perhaps @melypr1985 or @Humblefish can confirm . . .

I'm curious about the "stress spots" on your hippo - can you upload a photo of them?

~Bruce

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress spots on the hippo seems the norm in my experience w them. My last hippo was at least 12yrs old and would flare up the same way for no reason. I can try to get a pic, looks like a rash almost. No ich that i can see

My QT tank is redsea max 250. Power heads, heater, light, and airstone running.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi can cause heavy breathing due to: a) Flukes in the gills b) Oxygen depletion from the medication

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you. Glad u replied! I was going to post on the quarantine thread but its so many responses i didnt want to get lost in shuffle. Should i do fresh water dip to rule out flukes?

OP
OP
RT2

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today my guys are all breathing heavier.. i added another air stone but im using the whisper air pump and plenty enough air imo to the tank. Not liking how they are looking and i dont remember my other fish doing this previously during quarantine

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had trouble in the past when I used Prazi and copper at the same time, but much less so with Prazi on its own.

Prazi does what it's going to do within 24 hours or so - I know you just did one, but I'd be tempted to run another water change.

~Bruce

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back