Quarantine Help

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I found a reputable shop with a hands on owner. I just purchased two black storm clowns and he wouldn’t release them right away because they do the quarantining process to assure healthy stock.
would you still quarantine the fish once you brought them home or would that be overkill for them?

Thanks

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your trust level of the LFS and what their QT procedure is and your level of acceptable risk.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. My first thought is to quarantine them. I don’t like the risk. But I also don’t want to stress the fish by performing multiple quarantine methods unless that’s not a real thing

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step is to figure out their protocol. Assuming its satisfactory, personally I'd forgo another round of prophylactic treatment and just do a 4 week observational QT if I didnt know the LFS all that well. Eventually I'd get to the point where I could trust them and skip the observation period all together.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step is to figure out their protocol. Assuming its satisfactory, personally I'd forgo another round of prophylactic treatment and just do a 4 week observational QT if I didnt know the LFS all that well. Eventually I'd get to the point where I could trust them and skip the observation period all together.
You just touched on a key point. No, I don’t know them well at all. Just did basic research and did a meet and greet. I liked that they wouldn’t release the fish to me right away but like you said, once I trust them completely, I’ll proceed accordingly.
Thanks

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do my own QT.

Most fish stores don't have the ability, and it doesn't make fiscal sense, to properly QT and treat all fishes. For the most part, QT at a store is just keeping new arrivals separate to get them eating and catch any immediate huge problems that would lead to big immediate losses.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. My only concern is that if they do a proper quarantine with a copper or other method that I’d also administer, would it be too much for the fish? I asked if I could just do the quarantine but it would make their guarantee null and void

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine has 2 purposes. One is to determine whether a fish has a disease and to treat it before contaminating your display.

The other purpose is to take the stressed fish. Fish you buy are nearly always stressed from being shipped multiple times. They are often thin and frail. I stick them in my QT and fatten them up. They get used to the food and they get some weight.

My display can be rather stressful. It has established fish and they can be a bit aggressive and competitive. I want new fish to have the energy to be able to adjust to the challenge.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read.
my tank is still new and developing. I currently have no fish since I lost the two I had to uronema.
Also, I have no corals, just sand and rock.
so being that this environment isn’t or doesn’t appear to be stressful, would you still QT ?

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out if the store copper treats their fish while they qt. If so I'd probably just go with an observational period for a few weeks. If not, I'd proceed with a regular quarantine of copper for external parasites and your choice for internal ones.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read.
my tank is still new and developing. I currently have no fish since I lost the two I had to uronema.
Also, I have no corals, just sand and rock.
so being that this environment isn’t or doesn’t appear to be stressful, would you still QT ?
Yes, QT yourself.
Trust no one with your friends.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back