quarantine juvenile clown. Will it turn female?

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Some time ago I got two clowns. Both lived fine for about 6 months until they both started locking lips and going at each other's gills. It seems that both had decided they wanted to be female and I needed to separate them. It's been 6 more months and the current clownfish has been by itself doing fine for the most part. I would like to try to make a pair again. I'd like to add a juvenile clown, but I always buy quarantined or quarantine my own fish. Will the juvenile clown turn female for the approx 45 days in my quarantine by itself?

Thanks

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how long the process takes but if in doubt, you can choose a smaller clown and so that way the one you have now will be female and the new one will be Male. Also make sure that the smaller one you chose is also one of the smaller ones at the lfs. I have done this in the past with success. Keep in mind that it can take FOREVER for clownfish to finally get along.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. That's the plan. It's just that the "new" clown needs to be quarantined and I'm concerned if it might turn to female in the process.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. That's the plan. It's just that the "new" clown needs to be quarantined and I'm concerned if it might turn to female in the process.
Ah that makes sense. You might be able to find a fish that has already been quarantined

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back