Quarantine new fish without Medication?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Was this a new QT? ammonia buildS up fast and combining medications depletes oxygen levels which can be very problematic. It is your choice to not medicate and conduct an observation period but consider that it can take months for certain parasitic activity to occur. It's best to treat with copper for a minimum of 14 days and transfer to sterile tank for deworming and observation.
Bingo

OP
OP
G

gfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have a cycled tank I use for QT. I just keep it cycled and running all the time so it's always ready. My last QT cycle I did not use copper I didn't see the need for medicating the fish when they didn't need it. I feel like if there was ich or velvet present it would have showed up in the month long cycle that they went through. I did give 2 doses of general cure the last 10 days of monitoring. The whole cycle was 37 days before they went into display.

Tang's or larger fish then I'll probably do the copper treatment first then drop the copper levels to near zero.. Then a round of General cure + additional monitoring before going into DT.

I'm not opposed to medicating for QT process. I just feel like maybe it's not always necessary to put them through it. Every time I have given copper so far I notice behavioral changes in the fish and that concerns me and I would imagine it has to do with the fact that copper is poison? Just low copper levels isn't supposed to hurt the fish I guess.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back