Quarantine of new Ornate Leopard Wrasse

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it is an ornate male, or just a leopard male? I'm getting more confused as this thread goes on :confused:

You do have an ornate leopard wrasse as I have 2 of them and the link to live aquaria is a Meleagris leopard totally different and I have a trio of these. Never had any problems getting any of ours to eat luckly with mysis and small pellets.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have an ornate leopard wrasse as I have 2 of them and the link to live aquaria is a Meleagris leopard totally different and I have a trio of these. Never had any problems getting any of ours to eat luckly with mysis and small pellets.

So it’s an ornate male? Does that imply it’s an older fish because they start as females and then transition to males? It is probably 3-3.5” long if I had to guess.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like a male Macropharyngodon meleagris, which is what you called a regular leopard wrasse. You should be happy as females are easier to come by. I got mine at an lfs that swore it was a Macropharyngodon meleagris, and this is what I got. A Macropharyngodon bipartitus, so I think alot of people get it wrong.

011.jpg

SonoranReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just as confused now, after doing some more reading on the internet everything seems to contradict itself! ‍♂️

Here is my other one that is the female.
f747476704cd42ccd18049b2dff3f258.png

@evolved can you chime in?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved hasn't been on in a few weeks unfortunately.

So here's my fish vs the liveaquaria picture of a regular leopard wrasse male and female.... I don't think it is a regular leopard wrasse, I think it is an ornate.

IMG_9414.JPG

upload_2017-11-13_22-13-16.png

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just as confused now, after doing some more reading on the internet eve thing seems to contradict itself! ‍♂️

Here is my other one that is the female.
f747476704cd42ccd18049b2dff3f258.png

@evolved can you chime in?
This is a meleagris leopard wrasse and looks to be transitioning to a male. The females have a leopard print as the males will turn into a completely different look with lines. Live aquaria shows pictures male and females of these.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved hasn't been on in a few weeks unfortunately.

So here's my fish vs the liveaquaria picture of a regular leopard wrasse male and female.... I don't think it is a regular leopard wrasse, I think it is an ornate.

IMG_9414.JPG

upload_2017-11-13_22-13-16.png

It is clearly transitioning to the male in the liveaquaria pic

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s an ornate male? Does that imply it’s an older fish because they start as females and then transition to males? It is probably 3-3.5” long if I had to guess.

I didn't look that close and there isn't much difference really in them. The female has an eye spot on the spine that aligns with the pectoral fin. Now there colors in the face do change when they transition from juveniles but maintain the dotted look on the main body or how ever you want to call it. Animal-World has a good description on them.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read online that the main difference between female and male ornatus is primarily that the male is darker in color. Is this correct? I've had a hard time finding quality pictures of ornate wrasses for comparison

SonoranReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read online that the main difference between female and male ornatus is primarily that the male is darker in color. Is this correct? I've had a hard time finding quality pictures of ornate wrasses for comparison

Also interested in this.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op has a M. ornarus that is transitioning into a male. Juveniles and females have spotting on the face, once they begin to transition those spots elongate and begin to connect, creating striping on the face. In females, the spots on the body are seperate and as they mature these begin to line up and almost form diamond shapes. After these changes occur the color of the male continues to darken up as it finishes it's transition from male to terminal phase male.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BigJohnny You were right. No Lfs even seems to know what ova is :eek: . I found a frozen blend that had ova and frozen blackworms too but assumed I might as well just go get the live blackworms.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drop a couple in? And try to get them near her? Lol never fed live food in a large tank before.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drop a couple in? And try to get them near her? Lol never fed live food in a large tank before.
Yeah drop like 5 in at a time. Don't get discouraged if she doesn't eat them the first try. Sometimes it takes a few feedings of wiggling before they can't help themselves, although a lot of fish go right for em. Offer 3-4x a day since it's for one fish in your display and won't impact water quality

Back