Quarantine Period with Copper

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I have been treating a couple of new fish, Hippo Blue Tang, and a Powder Blue Tang in a QT with Fritz Copper Safe at therapeutic level for over 30 days. Initially, only the Hippo had some white spots but they are gone now. However, both of them continue to scratch their sides and slide up against the PVC pipe in the QT tank. Should I treat them for a longer period of time until they stop this scratching? If yes, how much more longer can I do this without causing harm from the copper? Thank you.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which copper test were you using?

what was the copper level?

did you make sure all water changes were done with water already dosed with copper?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on above ^^^

Some tangs develop an itchy condition from the copper. Not unusual to see them scratching a bit. But could also be flukes. Copper doesn't remove flukes; it does often suppress them a bit. I'd consider getting them into a fresh, sterile tank to observe. And then do a freshwater dip to check for flukes. Use a dark colored container. It's easier to see the little white small sesame seed bodies of the flukes in a darker container than a clear or white bucket.

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which copper test were you using?

what was the copper level?

did you make sure all water changes were done with water already dosed with copper?
Thanks and yes, every 2 to 3 days changing about 50%, adding copper and verifying with Hanna checker to make sure I have 2.0.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then they should be done with copper and you could do more harm if they stay in it.

I would follow Big G’s suggestions above. He helped me get my fish back to health.

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on above ^^^

Some tangs develop an itchy condition from the copper. Not unusual to see them scratching a bit. But could also be flukes. Copper doesn't remove flukes; it does often suppress them a bit. I'd consider getting them into a fresh, sterile tank to observe. And then do a freshwater dip to check for flukes. Use a dark colored container. It's easier to see the little white small sesame seed bodies of the flukes in a darker container than a clear or white bucket.

Thank you Big G. I didn't know about that condition from Copper. I did freshwater dip both of them prior to placing them in the QT. The Powder Blue stayed the whole 5 minutes, but the Hippo fell to its side and wouldn't move, even after me trying to move it, so I took it out in 3 minutes. Also, both were done in clear containers so I really didn't see anything falling off of them. Would you suggest trying the dip again?

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then they should be done with copper and you could do more harm if they stay in it.

I would follow Big G’s suggestions above. He helped me get my fish back to health.
Thank you again. I'll wait to see Big G's response on dipping for a second time.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanned scratch against rocks sometimes and they are healthy. I read before fish get itches too lol

OP
OP
Alvi

Alvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Big G. I didn't know about that condition from Copper. I did freshwater dip both of them prior to placing them in the QT. The Powder Blue stayed the whole 5 minutes, but the Hippo fell to its side and wouldn't move, even after me trying to move it, so I took it out in 3 minutes. Also, both were done in clear containers so I really didn't see anything falling off of them. Would you suggest trying the dip again?
I replied without reading your attachment, so I got the answer that it is okay to dip again and that Tangs also play dead. Thanks again!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wouldn't put them through another FW dip unless you are seeing constant "flashing" and breathing issues.
Were you planning on de-worming the fish prophylactically?
30 days is plenty if you've maintained therapeutic levels of copper the entire period.
Pristine water quality, a wide variety of foods + vitamins, low stress environment will go a long way toward happy healthy fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back