Quarantine Procedure & Time

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchase a mappa puffer & Bella Goby, I placed them both in a 30 gallon tank until they are transferred into my 600gal tank. My question should I use copper power in the 30 gallon tank for the quarantine time 21-30 days or should I just leave it alone unless they show signs of ick etc..

Is copper better then Hypo salinity? and how many days in quarantine should they remain . Thanks for your time in this question.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchase a mappa puffer & Bella Goby, I placed them both in a 30 gallon tank until they are transferred into my 600gal tank. My question should I use copper power in the 30 gallon tank for the quarantine time 21-30 days or should I just leave it alone unless they show signs of ick etc..

Is copper better then Hypo salinity? and how many days in quarantine should they remain . Thanks for your time in this question.
Well, in my opinion, all new fish should be treated with copper and prazi, but if folks are really against that, hyposalinity is a second option….still better than waiting to see if something shows up.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my opinion, all new fish should be treated with copper and prazi, but if folks are really against that, hyposalinity is a second option….still better than waiting to see if something shows up.
Jay
When should I use praxis if the new fish is quarantined for 30 days last 10 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When should I use praxis if the new fish is quarantined for 30 days last 10 days?

I actually prefer to run copper for 30 days, then remove it and then dose prazi 2x over 14 days. In some cases, I'll dose prazi 3x. I have not run copper and prazi at the same time very often, I just worry about doubling up on the stress to the fish. I do know people do that though.....

Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer to run copper for 30 days, then remove it and then dose prazi 2x over 14 days. In some cases, I'll dose prazi 3x. I have not run copper and prazi at the same time very often, I just worry about doubling up on the stress to the fish. I do know people do that though.....

Jay
Thank you

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Going to use praziquantel in my 20 gallon cube I believe my golden hawk has fluke always rubbing against the rock. I have Anemone in it looks like its dying should the treatment be 5 days then water change and 5 days more for a total of 10 days of Praziquantel ? Thanks for your time Carl

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first sticky thread in this forum is great reading material on this subject:

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Question just was given a mappa puffer from a friend you think since I have CP in DT would it be alright to add puffer in big tank since Im going to hit it with CP again in a few days instead of quarantine him?
Again thanks for your time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question just was given a mappa puffer from a friend you think since I have CP in DT would it be alright to add puffer in big tank since Im going to hit it with CP again in a few days instead of quarantine him?
Again thanks for your time.

If you absolutely have to do that, then o.k., but it is quite a bit riskier than giving the mappa a full quarantine.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you absolutely have to do that, then o.k., but it is quite a bit riskier than giving the mappa a full quarantine.

Jay
You have any idea what this is Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have any idea what this is Thanks
I can't really say, as that is a symptom of a number of different possible ailments. The clear parts of a fish's eye shows up any time there is excess mucus - from an injury or disease. The slight swelling I see on the damsel's eye, combined with the cloudiness could indicate a bacterial infection. However, Neobenedenia is well known to cause cloudy eyes in fish.

Here is an article I wrote on fish eye health:

Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really say, as that is a symptom of a number of different possible ailments. The clear parts of a fish's eye shows up any time there is excess mucus - from an injury or disease. The slight swelling I see on the damsel's eye, combined with the cloudiness could indicate a bacterial infection. However, Neobenedenia is well known to cause cloudy eyes in fish.

Jay
Thank You, by the way started 2nd dose of CP hoping this cures my problem lost golden hawk, broom tail wrasses yesterday , thanks for listening and helping me, Carl

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, by the way started 2nd dose of CP hoping this cures my problem lost golden hawk, broom tail wrasses yesterday , thanks for listening and helping me, Carl

Jay
On my 9 th day of the second dose of cp water cloudy more than it has been should on run it for the 14 th day or end it now? Thanks Carl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 9 th day of the second dose of cp water cloudy more than it has been should on run it for the 14 th day or end it now? Thanks Carl
You need to monitor the ammonia when dosing with CP. I’m sorry, I didn’t quiz you about the CP because I figured you were working off previous experience with it. CP needs to be dosed carefully - it remains active for at least 2 weeks, I used to go 30 days, one and done. Do you know the dose you treated with, and what was the timing between the two treatments?
Jay

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to monitor the ammonia when dosing with CP. I’m sorry, I didn’t quiz you about the CP because I figured you were working off previous experience with it. CP needs to be dosed carefully - it remains active for at least 2 weeks, I used to go 30 days, one and done. Do you know the dose you treated with, and what was the timing between the two treatments?
Jay
31 grams per dose fish appear fine lost a couple more but they didn’t look good since first dose. This Sunday will be 14 day of second 14 day treatment. Ammonia Basically same a little ellavated. Did about 25 % water change at 14 days first treatment then re dose for 2nd treatment.

Back