Quarantine question

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost several fish in the last week due to ich. I have a 20 gallon tank setup ready to move everyone over I just don’t know if it’s best to do so slowly or not. I have a sponge in my sump for over a month sitting by the skimmer, I assume that’s all I need? My plan is to go fallow for 76 days minimum and eradicate the ich permanently. All purchases from now on will be treated as well.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this moment the remaining fish appear to be fine and healthy in spite of the spots. I don’t know how much of an emergency this is. My last death was 3 days ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was water being moved through the sponge, or was it just laying static? Either way, it would be a really good idea to have some bacteria in a bottle on hand and test your ammonia during the process (remember that copper treatments give false positives on many ammonia tests, so look for a change in the numbers, not the number itself per-se).

Move the fish over at once and get them under treatment. I would treat them with copper for 30 days and observe them for two weeks. That coincides with a 45 day fallow period, which if your tank is at 81 F., would be long enough.

Jay

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was water being moved through the sponge, or was it just laying static? Either way, it would be a really good idea to have some bacteria in a bottle on hand and test your ammonia during the process (remember that copper treatments give false positives on many ammonia tests, so look for a change in the numbers, not the number itself per-se).

Move the fish over at once and get them under treatment. I would treat them with copper for 30 days and observe them for two weeks. That coincides with a 45 day fallow period, which if your tank is at 81 F., would be long enough.

Jay
The sponge was floating on top of the water. I do have bacteria in a bottle, and a ammonia badge. I will move the fish over (there’s only 6) and start the quarantine process.

Why do I need to be at 81°? I thought 76 days fallow was enough to get rid of ich.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge was floating on top of the water. I do have bacteria in a bottle, and a ammonia badge. I will move the fish over (there’s only 6) and start the quarantine process.

Why do I need to be at 81°? I thought 76 days fallow was enough to get rid of ich.
81 will ensure that all of the ich tomonts are dead within the 45 day fallow period.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back