Quarantine Question

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use copper power as a quarantine procedure or Hypo (.09) Salinity instead. for 21 days. Second question if the fish in the quarantine after one week look great is it necessary to use copper or hypo treatment for 21 days or just leave them in quarantine for a month without treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use copper power as a quarantine procedure or Hypo (.09) Salinity instead. for 21 days. Second question if the fish in the quarantine after one week look great is it necessary to use copper or hypo treatment for 21 days or just leave them in quarantine for a month without treatment?
I use coppersafe for 30 days, but copper power is similar, so go 30 days at full dose with that. Hypo also needs to go 30 days. The benefit of hypo is that it also controls Neobenedenia flukes. The drawback is some fish are more stressed by hypo than by copper.
Just observing fish is often a mistake, with various diseases showing up later on if the fish get stressed.
Jay

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the not just doing observation. I had a royal gramma that showed no signs of ich at the LFS or in QT. I dosed Prazipro and and day later he was covered in spots. The stress of the medication helped reveal the ich.

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coppersafe for 30 days, but copper power is similar, so go 30 days at full dose with that. Hypo also needs to go 30 days. The benefit of hypo is that it also controls Neobenedenia flukes. The drawback is some fish are more stressed by hypo than by copper.
Just observing fish is often a mistake, with various diseases showing up later on if the fish get stressed.
Jay
Thanks for input.

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the not just doing observation. I had a royal gramma that showed no signs of ich at the LFS or in QT. I dosed Prazipro and and day later he was covered in spots. The stress of the medication helped reveal the ich.
Thanks for input

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try Chloroquine Phosphate or CP as a replacement for chelated copper sulfate. It treats for ich, velvet, brook and uronema all in one. It's quite pricey but that's the route I'd go if quarantining.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try Chloroquine Phosphate or CP as a replacement for chelated copper sulfate. It treats for ich, velvet, brook and uronema all in one. It's quite pricey but that's the route I'd go if quarantining.
I've not been able to find a source for Chloroquine in the US since last year due to people buying it for Covid "treatment" and then the government shut down all of the sources.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here ya go :)
I had been told that they were out of stock, maybe they got more in? Sent them an email. The other three vendors that I know of got cease and desist orders from the government saying that they had to stop selling it.
Jay

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been told that they were out of stock, maybe they got more in? Sent them an email. The other three vendors that I know of got cease and desist orders from the government saying that they had to stop selling it.
Jay
We must really be a bunch of morons. Because the WORDS sound similar, the government stepped into private Enterprise to protect us all!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back