Quarantine Tank Killing Fish

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem with my quarantine tank killing fish. It's a 10 gallon that's been running for about 3 months and was seeded by my main tank. It has a heater and sponge filter. I lost two clowns overnight, that had been in the tank for 5 weeks, when the tank suddenly started cycling with high ammonia and nitrite.

Two weeks after it seemed to be done cycling, I dosed bottled bacteria to be safe and put two more clowns into the tank. One of them died in 48 hours from what looked like ammonia or nitrite poisoning despite more than one type of test kit reading none. Red inflamed gills right before death. I did a 25% water change the day before the death to remove excess poop and make sure ammonia stayed down.

I moved the other clown to the display tank right away and I seemed to have moved it in time. It's doing fine in the main tank. I don't trust the quarantine tank anymore. Something is seriously wrong with it and I don't know what.

Is Aqueon dechlorinator bad to use for water changes? Is there not enough filtration? Would two juvenile clowns overload a ten gallon? I don't leave excess food in the tank. Did all the bacteria die off?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10 gallon is the smallest QT that I suggest, and then for only a few small fish at a time.
What brand of ammonia test kit are you using?
The dechlor isn’t the issue. It is probable that the fish losses weren’t related.
Jay

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I suggest TTM.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any meds in the tank?

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration: a sponge filter and a regular sponge that were pre-seeded.

Ammonia testers: API, Salifert, and alert badge

Meds: None

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration: a sponge filter and a regular sponge that were pre-seeded.

Ammonia testers: API, Salifert, and alert badge

Meds: None
I would trust the Salifert test more than the api. I’ve had trouble with badges, but they work well for a lot of folks.
Jay

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust the Salifert test more than the api. I’ve had trouble with badges, but they work well for a lot of folks.
Jay
I tested all 3 to be sure and I'm not seeing a spike this time. I 100% saw a weeks long high spike of ammonia despite water changes the first time my clowns died. The tank had been previously cycled before adding fish, and those clowns were in that tank for over a month before it started cycling a second time. The symptoms are the same this time despite 0 readings. Looking like an ammonia or nitrite burning.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested all 3 to be sure and I'm not seeing a spike this time. I 100% saw a weeks long high spike of ammonia despite water changes the first time my clowns died. The tank had been previously cycled before adding fish, and those clowns were in that tank for over a month before it started cycling a second time. The symptoms are the same this time despite 0 readings. Looking like an ammonia or nitrite burning.

Highly recommend TTM

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u ever put ur hand in the QT while it had soap or some ointment on it (after maybe washing ur hands) then that would kill 99.9% bacterial population( :p sorry couldn't resist). it is also possible if u used some cleaning substance/liquid to clean ur QT or equipment it got stuck and killed the bacteria when u moved seeded rock/bio media to ur QT.
neutralise the chems/metals with prime and then do a water change to get them out as much as possible then add some more bio media from your DT. just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u ever put ur hand in the QT while it had soap or some ointment on it (after maybe washing ur hands) then that would kill 99.9% bacterial population( :p sorry couldn't resist). it is also possible if u used some cleaning substance/liquid to clean ur QT or equipment it got stuck and killed the bacteria when u moved seeded rock/bio media to ur QT.
neutralise the chems/metals with prime and then do a water change to get them out as much as possible then add some more bio media from your DT. just my 2 cents.
I use gloves that have touched nothing but tank water. I haven't cleaned the quarantine tank equipment. Nothing was moved after the tank was first cycled. I could try adding more media. I think it's weird that dosing bottled bacteria daily still didn't help in a tank that should already be cycled.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back