Quarantine Tank Question

jsettles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to finish quarantining my first fish and add it to my display tank. I treated proactively (fish did not exhibit symptoms) with paraguard for 14 days followed by 7 days of observation. My QT is a 10 gal fitted with power filter with matrix that matured in my DT. Once I transfer this fish can I use my QT as is to quarantine a new fish or do I need to break it down, clean it and dispose of biomedia prior since I treated with paraguard? Just seems like a shame to do if the tank is already established. Thanks!

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a similar situation. I have a 10 gallon QT that I have used many times as I do a minimum 30 day quarantine on anything that enters my fishroom.

I finished quarantining a Falco Hawk about 3 weeks ago and am hopefully getting a Blue Chin Trigger this Friday. Will my bacteria have died in the QT since it has only had a piece of live rock with a few small corals on it for near a month or should it be good to go? The filtration is a hang on power filter with some matrix media originally from my DT.

If the bacteria has likely died, how much pure ammonia (I used pure ammonia to start my display tanks cycle) should I add to it the next time it sits empty to maintain the bacteria for the next round of quarantine? A drop per day, 2 drops per day?

I would like to keep it ready in case my trip to the LFS leads me to something I can not live without LOL. Of course, if during quarantine I find myself needing to use any meds, I would thoroughly clean everything with bleach and start over. My last two quarantines I have been very fortunate to get healthy individuals.

Sorry this was so long,

Troy

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back