Quarantine Tank Water, Leave or Refill for New Fish?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to an unfortunate rodi unit issue, broken line, I am at somewhat of a lack of rodi water to mix up fresh salt. I have a Hippo Tang arriving tomorrow afternoon, and it's too late to cancel the delivery.

My clownfish is coming out of the QT tonight, meant to do it earlier in the week, but overtime got in the way.

Anyways, I am wondering how terrible of an idea it is to reuse the water in the QT? Clown has been in there over a month, no issues or anything, didn't use any medications, nothing. Might be able to do a 75% change at best.
No stores have filling stations open, and would rather avoid buying $60 in jugs of distilled water.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it too horrible of an idea to just...use tap water + water conditioner?

Are any of the local hardware stores near you open? I bet you could find some sort of replacement line available if you ask really nicely.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it too horrible of an idea to just...use tap water + water conditioner?

Are any of the local hardware stores near you open? I bet you could find some sort of replacement line available if you ask really nicely.
They are, and I checked. Don't have the right size line. Small town problems.

Tap water is ~200tds on any given day. I feel like that is almost worse.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah rip. Well at least there's always amazon and ebay for shopping needs that small towns can't provide.

Tap water + whatever RO/DI water you have on hand? Given that saltwater has a TDS of...upwards of 35000mg/L? https://www.twdb.texas.gov/innovativewater/desal/faqseawater.asp

Seems like it could work, especially since you aren't worrying about algae or anything.

I'm mostly worried about nitrates in the QT. Any diseases you can work out by bleaching the tank and zapping it with lots of prime. But that still leaves lots of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in the tank.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have it on order. Fully cycled QT. Ammonia 0 (Api/seachem badge) Nitrite 0 (Salifert) Nitrates are ~25 (Salifert). But yeah, a combo could work I think.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back