Quarantine Tank

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank w/ an AC 20 filter for when I start introducing fish to my main tank. Had a couple of questions though.

Should I just run the media that came with the AC20?

Should I start dosing copper even if fish doesn’t show any signs of disease?

I heard not to put any live rock in it because if a fish is diseased the parasites can hide out in the rocks?

Any other pointers?

Thanks as always!

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run whatever media you want (without carbon), bu you'll need it to be full of beneficial bacteria. Most people will always keep some sort of filter media in their sump and when they're ready to use their qt tank...they just throw it in the qt.

Just because they don't show signs doesn't mean they don't have any diseases/parasites. Always assume they do and treat accordingly.

Rock absorbs some of the medications...making it harder to properly dose the qt. Also putting live rock in their might cause some die-off that you don't want when you treat with copper. Just throw in a few pvc elbows/pieces.

Search the forum! Tons of threads already on qt process with lots of good information. Best of luck!

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people treat fish prophylactically. That is assume they carry disease and treat them to be sure that they are clean. Most who do this treat with copper for things like marine velvet, marine ich, brook and so on. Copper can stress fish and increase mortality. Of course, introducing a disease into the display tank is a nightmare. You can also treat with prazipro for internal parasites and the risk of treatment is low.

Other people just observe the fish for about 10 weeks assuming that any disease will manifest itself.

Fish get to your tank in a stressed condition. I try to get them eating the food I offer and then fatten them up. The display tank is a bit of a free for all. Not much aggression but food given disappears really fast. Fish who have not figured out the food or are hesitant can starve.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqueon 10 gallon tank with an HOB AquaClear 110... so there is PLENTY of flow in my QT. LOL

I run the media that came with the filter and my tank is bare... no live rock or sand. I have a few pieces of PVC for hiding places.

I typically QT 3-4 months.

I just picked up a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. I'll wait and observe. If all is clear by the NEW YEAR, I'll start planning to add them to the DT.

My last inhabitant was purchased October of 2017 and developed ICH about 10 days in. I successfully treated the ICH with fresh water dips and hypo-salinity. he finally found his way in to the DT May of 2018.

So patience is the key!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filters usually have carbon inside them and that can absorb medicine.
internal parasite or fluke medication like prazipro is always good to dose and fish known to carry ich like tangs is best to treat.
Copper or Chloroquine Phosphate depending on the fish.
UV is ok to use after treatment is over or before. its just a prevention equipment with not a whole lot of advantage. Parasites like ick is not always in free floating stage to be rid of by UV. its better purpose is to clear up bacterial blooms etc.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also setting up my first QT, a 10 gallon. Is UV a good idea for a QT? Has anyone used something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-PF15...=1536936882&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-20&ref=sr_1_6
Do not use UV when dosing cupramine or other medications. With cupramine it can cause the medication to become toxic and kill the fish being treated. In other medicines like prazi it will degrade the medication rendering it useless. I do have a UV in my QT but only use it once the medications are cleared out.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6A6F52AA-80A7-468D-8B54-B90557DE9985.jpeg
Thanks all for the input!!! Almost ready to start my build thread! I’ll start with my QT pic here.

89F10FEB-A1D4-4440-B305-58616E888802.jpeg

20FF536F-3B7F-4D01-8D85-6255F78B45F2.jpeg

08F24A62-1CB0-4B94-83C9-D8B055F34A62.jpeg

1A8F370B-442B-43D4-A833-5131A8B5F870.jpeg

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use UV when dosing cupramine or other medications. With cupramine it can cause the medication to become toxic and kill the fish being treated. In other medicines like prazi it will degrade the medication rendering it useless. I do have a UV in my QT but only use it once the medications are cleared out.
Good to know. Thanks.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick question. Water is a little cloudy in the tank and I am assuming this is a bacterial outbreak. I have two sponges and carbon for now in the HOB filter. Will doing daily water changes help clear up the water?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's bacterial water changes won't do much for it. It spreads so rapidly that you won't make a dent in it. Bacterial blooms are not harmful to healthy fish and will go away on there own in several days. UV will clear in up in a couple days but do not use if dosing meds.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also very important to increase O2 in the tank as the bacterial bloom will deplete the O2 in the water. Either surface agitation or an air stone will help greatly. Don't want your fish suffocating.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's bacterial water changes won't do much for it. It spreads so rapidly that you won't make a dent in it. Bacterial blooms are not harmful to healthy fish and will go away on there own in several days. UV will clear in up in a couple days but do not use if dosing meds.
That’s what I figured, thanks for your insight. The fish in there are super healthy looking right now and eating. I was going to start dosing prazi but should I wait until the bloom clears or it really doesn’t matter?

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also very important to increase O2 in the tank as the bacterial bloom will deplete the O2 in the water. Either surface agitation or an air stone will help greatly. Don't want your fish suffocating.
Thanks for the heads up, I’m going to throw an air stone in there now

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I figured, thanks for your insight. The fish in there are super healthy looking right now and eating. I was going to start dosing prazi but should I wait until the bloom clears or it really doesn’t matter?
You'll be fine going ahead and doing the prazi. It also reduces O2 so keep the air stone in during that too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back