Quarantine Tank

davidebarnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
With the forum's support, I put together my first quarantine tank to treat 2 new fish and a seahorse with Cupramine. Everything was going great and then on week 3, the two fish died within several days of each other. I can't figure out what happened as I had been watching the water quality very carefully. I wasn't watching the salinity as carefully and it crept up to 1.03. Would that have killed them? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I don't want to lose my seahorse too.

-Davide

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.03

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
With the forum's support, I put together my first quarantine tank to treat 2 new fish and a seahorse with Cupramine. Everything was going great and then on week 3, the two fish died within several days of each other. I can't figure out what happened as I had been watching the water quality very carefully. I wasn't watching the salinity as carefully and it crept up to 1.03. Would that have killed them? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I don't want to lose my seahorse too.

-Davide

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.03

You were not topping off the tank with RODi water and so your salinity increased...along with the cupramine concentration. The fish died from copper toxicity and the stress of the elevated salinity.

I mark my QT tanks with sharpie on duct tape. When topping off, fill to line, this will ensure your salinity is good but also that the copper concentration doesn’t dip below therapeutic levels.

I would highly advise not using cupramine. The margins for error are very small. Even small amount of evap can raise you into deadly territory. Use copper power next time.

OP
OP
davidebarnes

davidebarnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were not topping off the tank with RODi water and so your salinity increased...along with the cupramine concentration. The fish died from copper toxicity and the stress of the elevated salinity.

I mark my QT tanks with sharpie on duct tape. When topping off, fill to line, this will ensure your salinity is good but also that the copper concentration doesn’t dip below therapeutic levels.

I would highly advise not using cupramine. The margins for error are very small. Even small amount of evap can raise you into deadly territory. Use copper power next time.
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I am learning.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you tried your best. You will learn from the mistake. Most people don’t even try to quarantine so you’re way ahead of the game. agree about changing copper formula

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I am learning.

No problem! Keep asking questions! Water evap is a tough lesson. Just remember as the water evaporates, it’s only pure water that leaves, all nutrients ,chemicals ect stay behind :)

Like above said, you are attempting to QT which is a huge step ahead of the game. You won’t make this mistake again:) keep at it!

Back